Replacement battery for Wisper 705se

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
Hello, haven't been on for a few months but reckon I should now be able to get on to my Wisper after double hip op. Problem is I stupidly didn't keep the battery charged up and its now dead -only myself to blame. Am also swithering over the Tonaro Esprit so am reluctant to fork out full price for a new battery for the Wisper if there's any other option eg I wonder if its possible to get a reconditioned replacement or am I stuck with buying new . Any advice appreciated as always, thanks and nice to be back:)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Great to see you back and with good news about your ops.
Bet you are so relieved to have all that behind you.

Its a bit strange that the battery is totally dead though.....but I think if you have to replace it , it would have to be with a new one.
Anyway, you can guess what I am going to say......stop 'swithering' and get your Esprit :D
I am still loving mine.

Lynda :)

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
swithering over the Tonaro Esprit so am reluctant to fork out full price for a new battery for the Wisper if there's any other option
Hi TylerD

May I just say I'm delighted you have recovered from the ops to the point where you are happy to get back on your bike. These body mechanics do some amazing work nowadays!

I have to admit to a degree of incredulity that you might consider purchasing a 25Kg bike to replace your Wisper. From memory, isn't the Wisper a bit lighter than that? Also, my impression from reports I have read is that the Wisper product is better quality and better equipped but there are owners among forum members who are better able to comment in that regard.

Perhaps there is something wrong with your bike that you haven't mentioned as I don't understand why you might quibble over the battery price for what most observers seem to regard as an accomplished machine to then consider paying c£1200 for a new bike....if it's a new model you are considering.

Being as I have never ridden either of the machines you mention and am always keen to pick up new information, I'd appreciate if you'd qualify why you might want to change. Does the Tonaro suit better in some way that I might be missing?

I'm sure you'll enjoy getting back on a bike again regardless of which bike that might be, especially as this is such a nice time of year to be out on the open road.

Regards,
Indalo

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi ask yourself a few questions

How old is your wisper

How old is the battery ( they have a 2 year warranty )

Do I like my wisper

has it ever given you any problems

have you a local agent for service and support

Is the range off the battery OK ( they have larger battery's now )

Ask wisper if they can service your battery

Then Buy a new Wisper battery

Frank

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Tyler, Great to have you back on the Forum.

Before you buy a new battery, speak to Wisper Support, it may simply be a BMS or connection issue, it surprises me that is completely dead. If support feel it is a problem other that dead cells, it would be worth returning your battery to Cheltenham for them to have a look before you buy new.

All the best

David

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I can remember ,Tyler, that you gave a reason for wanting to buy a Tonaro Esprit....I just cant remember what it was ?

I know you said you love your wisper too and would consider keeping it regardless.......in which case you would have to sort the battery problem out anyway, and as I said.....it seems very strange for it to be totally dead, so get it checked.

I dont think there is a lot of difference weight wise between the two bikes.... I seem to remember the Wisper is only 1 KILO heavier than the Esprit.....?

Isnt it 26 kilos and the Esprit 25 kilos ?

Once you are riding it wont make any difference I wouldnt think.......whats one kilo between friends :D

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
Thanks for the replies everyone, as I've said, its nice to be back. I must say had a smile on my face as I typed the word Tonaro (I almost feel feel that I should be making the sign of the cross or holding a piece of garlic judging by the reaction it can produce on here:rolleyes:). Indalo, Lynne is right , I love my Wisper but its a very particular type of beast - I can tank along with minimal effort on my part as the speed seems to be dictated by the motor whereas the Tonaro seems to opertate more like a normal bike in that it responds to the effort you put in (I know I'm not explaining this well) but at the same time also has a throttle, which I would not like to be without. I also don't think there's much of a weight difference -and the Tonaro is a really pretty white:)
In fact I think what I said about my battery wasn't quite right although the end result is the same - all 4 lights come on when I try to charge it but go straight back off as soon as its disconnected from the charge, and it seems totally lifeless when I put it on the bike.Thanks for your suggestion David, I will phone Wisper support before I buy a new one. Unfortunately the bike is over 3 years old so not under warranty, but its my own fault for not following Flecc's advice not to let the battery drain down completely -looks like it could be an expensive lesson!

Glad you're still enjoying your -say it quietly -TONARO -oops , sorry !-Lynda

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
No.....be brave......SHOUT it LOL

Nice to have another TONARO fan back on the forum :D

Good luck anyway, hope you get something sorted ....you must be so elated over the great outcome of your operations that not even a dud battery will bring you down :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
If you like the feel of a crank drive bike there are alternatives that are much lighter with better spec but more money...