replacement chains and guards

Crystal_pixie

Pedelecer
May 25, 2017
Bristol
This is going to sound like a stupid question but are ebike chains different to standard Shimano chain on my old road bike?

I have an 8 speed Shimano Altus groupset on my Kalkhoff which seems pretty standard. However, I have been told that having a crank drive this puts more strain on the chain and it will wear quicker.

This sounds reasonable and I was thinking about buying a replacement chain just in case. Obviously a standard Shimano chain is a fairly cheap purchase but then I wondered - are they different? Should I be looking for a certain standard of chain?

I have checked on the Kalkhoff website but no guidance.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
It's wise to change chains regularly , certainly if it prone t get dirty with mud and sand, some swap a spare chain whilst cleaning the other , changing monthly whilst the others in the 'wash'.

What is important is lubrication, try to use a dry one,that doesn't hold and trap grit and sand , like oil and WD40

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I had a bad experience with the KMC bulk cheapo chain, only did about 1800 km. The Wippermann Connex is holding up much better. If you buy KMC buy a decent quality one.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
So I shouldn't buy a shimano chain?
The Raleigh Captus \ Motus make specific reference in their sales specs that they use a specific ebike chain..... This is also a central drive motor . Now either they are having us on or there is merit.... I would not be hung up on the brand, but if there is a e bike version then it would be the one to use.
chain: 9 Speed E-Specific KMCE9

Crystal_pixie

Pedelecer
May 25, 2017
Bristol
The Raleigh Captus \ Motus make specific reference in their sales specs that they use a specific ebike chain..... This is also a central drive motor . Now either they are having us on or there is merit.... I would not be hung up on the brand, but if there is a e bike version then it would be the one to use.
chain: 9 Speed E-Specific KMCE9
Ok I will have a look - seems like more research is needed.