Replacement electric parts for Raleigh Stoweway (Tranzx)?

Edinburgh30

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 13, 2021
The electrics in my 3 year old Stoweway have decided to pack up and nothing comes up on the handlebar display when the battery is inserted.

Although now beyond the 2 year electrical warranty, I took it back to the shop I bought it from whereupon it started working again as I tried to demonstrate. They said they would take a look - which I imagined involved plugging in diagnostic equipment into the USB port - but when I picked it up it was completely dead and they said there was nothing they could do. They cannot get parts and don't have the tester anymore. I tried another Raleigh dealer and it was the same story. However, both of these stores will sell me a new Stoweway, so there must be spare parts somewhere?!

I have tried locating a replacement for the controller myself - TranzX CN41 controller - but I have found NOTHING!

The battery is healthy so it seems a shame I cannot extend the life of this e-bike - any thoughts appreciated, thank you

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I took it back to the shop I bought it from... they said there was nothing they could do. They cannot get parts and don't have the tester anymore.
That's really poor, especially considering that you did exactly the right thing in taking it back to the dealer you bought it from. Usually it's just the dealers who didn't sell you the bike who don't want to know.

AFAIK, the parts are all still available. Some parts were difficult to get for a while, but that should be resolved by now. They're made by J D Components who have a service/ dealer support/ parts base in Germany.

All Evans Cycles stores have the Logix diagnostics software, and should be able to help you. They have an Edinburgh store here. Raleigh can supply any of their dealers with the diagnostic software (free) if they ask for it.

Last edited:

Edinburgh30

Sep 13, 2021
That's really poor, especially considering that you did exactly the right thing in taking it back to the dealer you bought it from. Usually it's just the dealers who didn't sell you the bike who don't want to know.

AFAIK, the parts are all still available. Some parts were difficult to get for a while, but that should be resolved by now. They're made by J D Components who have a service/ dealer support/ parts base in Germany.

All Evans Cycles stores have the Logix diagnostics software, and should be able to help you. They have an Edinburgh store here. Raleigh can supply any of their dealers with the diagnostic software (free) if they ask for it.
Thanks Cyclebuddy. It was actually Evans I bought the bike from originally.

When I asked why they used to have the diagnostic tool and not now, they said their computers had had a "refresh" (since they were taken over?) and no longer feature the software - not that it would work on my bike anyway now the display is dead. I was wrong earlier- Evans no longer sell the Stoweway (the other shop does but it is out of stock)

Thanks for the J D Components insight. I still cannot bring up anything on the web for that model of controller so it seems you have to be in the know. Hoping somebody here can help

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Halfords sell the Raleigh Evo HERE- same bike, different name. Halfords, as a Raleigh dealer, have the Logix diagnostics too - or as a minimum access to it. It's just a software download from Raleigh onto a PC/laptop, connected to the bike with a standard mini USB to USB A cable.

If the battery is okay but the bike is totally dead, it's maybe just a battery fuse or loose connection. Did you check battery voltage? Damaged cables? What makes you think it's the controller? If you've checked those obvious things, I'd 'phone around asking all Raleigh dealers if A) they have the software and b) they know how to use it. I've talked to a couple of guys who know the TranzX system inside out, enough to even manually diagnose most faults - but neither are anywhere near you.

As I understand it, your issue will be that if you replace any key component, you need to update the bike's firmware too as each key component is paired to each other, so even sourcing your own parts (through say Hollandbikeshop) isn't going to help. Any Raleigh dealer (who can be bothered) should have access to both parts and the software.

Edinburgh30

Sep 13, 2021
Cyclebuddy, you are amazing! I will ask at Halfords next opportunity.

Giving up hope, I decided I couldn't make it worse by opening up the controller and taking a look.

Everything seems OK on both sides of the PCB and the power connection to the board says 40V. (There is white sludge underneath the capacitor but I am guessing the capacitor is folded down to fit inside the box and the white material is to stop it bumping into any contacts on the board - there are no signs of leakage)

I will see if I can measure any voltage going into the DP15 display but it is difficult to diagnose further without a spare of everything

20210913_111918.jpg

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
...nothing comes up on the handlebar display when the battery is inserted... I took it back to the shop I bought it from whereupon it started working again...
The above suggests to me an intermittent battery connection fault. As you have the controller open, I'd first be checking you're getting battery voltage at the controller. It may be as simple as a bent/worn pin where the battery connects to the cradle.

Edinburgh30

Sep 13, 2021
yes I am getting 40V to the board (across the two blobs of solder to the right of the capacitor)
even so, no sign of life from either the display or bike lights
It's only my hunch the fault is somewhere on the controller though

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Yes, sorry, you did say about 40v on the board. It could equally be the display not switching the controller. Is that the BL21 battery? Does it have extra pins for a 5v supply?

Edinburgh30

Sep 13, 2021
It is a BL21. It has 4 pins and the outer two are 40-41V (unloaded)
There are two inner pins that don't show any voltage

Are they supposed to be 5v? That would explain a lot. I can't find any documentation to say that what the pins are for

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
If there are only 4 pins, the inner two are almost certainly CanBus. There has to be a 5v supply, probably converted on the board then. I just couldn't see anything obvious doing that. Maybe others can see it?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I have tried locating a replacement for the controller myself - TranzX CN41 controller - but I have found NOTHING!
I knew I'd seen this somewhere!

Raleigh StowEway Parts

The StowEway controller has the same part number as Halfords Evo version: ABN410C001618, so likely orderable from Raleigh/ through Halfords. Same with the DP15 display. A dealer may need to flash the firmware though if you change any of it.

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
Hi Edinburgh30 have you had any luck sorting your Stoweway out? My sister has the same problem with hers and I was hoping to point her in the right direction.

Hi Cyclebuddy thanks for the helpful posts.

Edinburgh30

Sep 13, 2021
Yes, an update. I emailed Raleigh support, who said:

I have provided the part codes for the parts below. We do not have any stock, (currently showing as Mar 2022) so would need to be ordered through a bike shop.

Find UK Raleigh Bike & Electric Bike Dealers | Raleigh UK

Part code for controller - ABN410C001618

Part code for display - AA504011760

The dealers I spoke to (including Halfords) came up with the same date. Cost of the controller part was given as £118.80 (plus fitting)

Then, at the weekend, I bought a second hand Stoweway and solved my problem. But, now having a duplicate set of parts, I could try a few things and it seems the fault was with the DP15 display. (i.e. new display lit up when connected to old controller, although I didn't go as far as activating the motor). At least the DP15 has a possible alternative source (and is much easier to fit):

I can't guarantee any of the above - you really need spare parts to diagnose the problem but I couldn't find a raleigh dealer that had any

Hope that helps

Ps. the link above states a 30-day cooling off period

Last edited:

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
Yes, an update. I emailed Raleigh support, who said:

I have provided the part codes for the parts below. We do not have any stock, (currently showing as Mar 2022) so would need to be ordered through a bike shop.

Find UK Raleigh Bike & Electric Bike Dealers | Raleigh UK

Part code for controller - ABN410C001618

Part code for display - AA504011760

The dealers I spoke to (including Halfords) came up with the same date. Cost of the controller part was given as £118.80 (plus fitting)

Then, at the weekend, I bought a second hand Stoweway and solved my problem. But, now having a duplicate set of parts, I could try a few things and it seems the fault was with the DP15 display. (i.e. new display lit up when connected to old controller, although I didn't go as far as activating the motor). At least the DP15 has a possible alternative source (and is much easier to fit):

I can't guarantee any of the above - you really need spare parts to diagnose the problem but I couldn't find a raleigh dealer that had any

Hope that helps

Ps. the link above states a 30-day cooling off period
Thanks that’s useful to know. My sister’s Stoweway comes on sometimes and not others and if on can suddenly die leaving a hard cycle home. One local bike shop suggested it would cost £700 to repair but hadn’t done any diagnostics, they were keen to sell her a new bike. She has found another lbs with diagnostic software so we will see what they suggest. It would be great if it turned out to be just a new display.

Edinburgh30

Sep 13, 2021
With your sister's Stoweway, in those cases do the battery level lights not come on when the battery button is pushed? And is it immediately fixed by plugging in the charger? I've had that miles from home and assumed it was a protection device (cut-out) inside the battery (no matter how careful I was to turn the battery completely off before sliding it in and out of the bike etc.)

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
Thanks for the reply, I’ll check the battery lights and plugging in the charger when I next visit her in a couple of weeks.