Replacement key for battery …

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
That makes absolutely no sense to me personally, perhaps you would be so kind as to explain it (a lot) better please?
Andy

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That makes absolutely no sense to me personally, perhaps you would be so kind as to explain it (a lot) better please?
Andy
It's a joke Andy - the FBI kick doors down, referred to in some films as the "FBI Master Key". It's a sure way to get through doors, before door and lock designs improved to the stage where you can now pick your way through them, or card them. One method my neighbours experienced a few years ago was "Door bending" - burglars used a long crowbar to bend the door so much that the lock popped out of the door jamb. It was almost silent too. Luckily nobody was in.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
It's a joke Andy - the FBI kick doors down, referred to in some films as the "FBI Master Key". It's a sure way to get through doors, before door and lock designs improved to the stage where you can now pick your way through them, or card them. One method my neighbours experienced a few years ago was "Door bending" - burglars used a long crowbar to bend the door so much that the lock popped out of the door jamb. It was almost silent too. Luckily nobody was in.
Good explanation, many thanks.
Living abroad for so long, I miss a lot of UK news, new words in the English language and more.
But no, my methods do not stress the door, or the frame or the lock mechanism, they only push the tongue of the bolt back.
My favourite method is with a Card (previously explained), or using special piano wire tools, to press it back. Both methods are speedy and leave the door and frame completely undamaged in any way.
Once you have shown a householder just how fast and silent the method is, they get a huge shock! And start double locking the door properly, which makes it more difficult to open - but FAR from impossible......
Having any dog in a house that barks when the bell is rung, is, accoring to UK Police forces some years ago (and the burglars they put behind bars), the best way to put off a burglar.
regards
Andy

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Once you have shown a householder just how fast and silent the method is, they get a huge shock! And start double locking the door properly, which makes it more difficult to open - but FAR from impossible......
That's what I did, as soon as I discovered my neighbours (four houses) had been burgled - a Policeman had suggested two locks. I also installed a very visible alarm system... that did the trick, apart from one night when someone tried to use the FBI Master Key on one of the locks - I could hear him cursing and limping away, after he hurt his foot kicking my door. I chuckled and went back to sleep. Most burglars are brute force types.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My favourite method is with a Card (previously explained), or using special piano wire tools, to press it back.
That can't work on deadlocks, or can it? A popular lock in the UK is the Avocet:

...very popular and used on many doors - the problem is there's an "Avocet Opening Tool", which can be sold to anyone, which allows anyone at all to open it within seconds. I almost bought one, till I saw that opening tool for sale...

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
That can't work on deadlocks, or can it? A popular lock in the UK is the Avocet:

...very popular and used on many doors - the problem is there's an "Avocet Opening Tool", which can be sold to anyone, which allows anyone at all to open it within seconds. I almost bought one, till I saw that opening tool for sale...
Doors secured with these locks are still open to all the easy opening tools, as the ones I mentioned push back the bolt in the door lock, nothing to do with the cylinder at that point.
Double locking does involve the cylinder, and some cylinders are more difficult to pick, but electric picks can usually open most.
The lock you mentioned, is supposedly difficult to break in the middle, as many thieves, especially if the cylinder is a bit too long, grab hold of it with either a clamp, or special lock breaking tools (very cheap) and simply snap the middle of the cylinder, pull the outside part out and push the inside part into the house, then using a special shaped plastic "key", then simply open the door!!!
This guy is SLOW! 42 seconds to open the door:-

This guy is doing it from the inside, which is really easy, but both inside and outside can be attacked. The qulity of the cover surronding the cylinder plays a large part, and setting the cylinder back in the door, instead of flush, makes it even more difficult for the burglar:-

Electric Pick guns being demonstrated:-

Regards to all
Andy

• Informative
Reactions: guerney