Replacement knee advice

1948sueb

Just Joined
Dec 23, 2014
Hi, have a tern vectron folder purchased since my knee replacement.Can still not manage to rotate the pedals with seat at correct height( holding gate, and in reverse)
I can comfortably use my indoor ex bike with seat low to improve bend in knee........any ideas....should I go for shorter cranks? They are 175mm

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I know a few people with replaced knees and my wife has had her hip replaced.
My neighbor is mid eighties with both knees done and it took hime about 12 months to get back to normal and now you wouldnt know and my wife had her hip done over 10 years ago and after 12 months, again you wouldnt know.
I have met cyclists with new knees, and once a lady with two who was hiking around the world, so my message to you is this, it takes time so bear with it and keep up whatever physio has been advised.
The only negative I know of is a freind with a new knee who weighed 17 stones and he really struggled until he joined a weight club and lost the extra fat, after which his activity level improved dramatically.
I am sure you have been told all this already, but I think it helps to hear of others on the same road.

Dave Y Fenni

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2017
Y Fenni
Last year I had both knees replaced, March & December. Purchased my Volt Metro LS, with extra large battery, as a result. I have more than 90 degrees in both knees, but cannot get over a cross bar. Hence the LS (Low Step).

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
In October last year I had a total knee replacement, at age 66, on a knee that had no kneecap since I was 18, having played “blood sports” (rugby!) when a well aimed size 12 boot ended my rugby days.
After 45 years of not cycling and getting bigger (18stone) I bought a KTM Macina with the “halfway” cross bar and loved it but had problems with my stability, getting my leg over, so changed to to a “Dutch style” Cube. I found both these bikes fabulous to ride but as I’m not supposed to lift anything heavy I found attaching the rack to the tow bar, attaching the bike to the rack etc etc a real pain, literally!
The result was to sell the Cube ebike and go for a Brompton folder to see how I managed... I find it so light to store and transport and a great ride with 6 gears and lowered gearing. It’s doing my knee the power of good but living where I do, which is very hilly, I miss the electric assistance. So I have an electric Brompton on order, which I will comment on when it arrives.
My advice is to try to cycle whatever it takes.. the non weight bearing exercise will be great for your knee and improve both muscles and knee flection.
I now have full flection and can bend my knee as far as the “good” one.
Oops.... I’ve just remembered why I started this posting... I have heard great reports for the “swing cranks”. Ok they aren’t cheap, as TimEbike says, but compared to the cost a a gym membership for physio, general exercise and the fact you are getting out into the open, they are worth the investment.
Good luck with the TKR.