Replacing 12V 7A Lead acid

pete22

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 24, 2008
Hi

I'm about to replace the three 12v 7A batteries in my battery pack.

Looking across the internet for replacements, I found the following site:

Batterymasters.co.uk - Home

They supply 4 variants:

Power-Sonic PS-1270 - £7.99
Ultramax gel - £6.99
Yuasa SLA NP7-12 - £9.57
Yuasa SLA NP7-12F - £11.36

Which ones would be suitable for an electric bike?

The Ultramax seem to be a bargain buy, but working on the basis that you get as much as you pay for, should I focus on the Yuasa's?

Many thanks.

gkilner

Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2007
West Yorkshire
Hi,

I've been doing a lot of reasearch on these too. Just the fact that Yuasa seem to be by far the most common battery stocked by most retailers says a lot. I would be willing to pay the extra.

pete22

Jan 24, 2008
Thanks gkilner.

Well after a two hour trawl of the net - I keep coming up with these - Deep Cycle AGM batteries:

VERTECI - Electric Bicycles, Scooters And Motorcycles

The one applicable to me is the 12V 9A "DK1290C SLA - AGM - Deep Cycle" battery, since it has the same dimensions as the batteries I am replacing.

Considerably greater cost at £33.96 (inc vat and delivery).

But is this the type of lead acid battery type I should be thinking about (Deep Cycle AGM)?

gkilner

Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2007
West Yorkshire
A battery that has good deep-discharge characteristics would sound like the one to go for. Although that price does seem very high.

Yuasa do a special model for bikes/golf biggies/elect wheel chairs the NPC range, unfortunetly, they don't list your size of battery as being available.

The stanadard NP range is a general purpose battery but is supposed to be designed for cyclic deep discharge also.

YUASA BATTERIES

Bikes and Batterys sell a battery for the size you require,

Sealed Lead Acid Battery

This company deals with Powabykes, the 12v 15a version for my bike is about £26, so your 7a should be quite a bit cheaper. The batteries are made by PBQ which don't seem very common but, this company also sells these batteries on ebay and gets some good feedback. Could be worth a try.

pete22

Jan 24, 2008
Thanks gkilner.

Finally went for an AGM battery (Powerfit AGM12V 7A), purchased from RS-components.com.

https://uk.rs-online.com

The price I paid was #21.50 exvat per unit. (Sorry no pound sign on this linux computer - yet!).

Many thanks.