replacing bafang bbs hd hall sensors

rgvkid

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 2, 2021
hi all,

my first bafang motor showed the error code for hall sensors (think it was 8, from memory/google).

stripped the motor and hall sensors were really tight in their grooves, had to prise the board off that they're attached to, which broke some of the connections to the hall sensors.

A bike shop has quoted me £80 to replace each faulty sensor, it was my understanding that the sensors themselves are very cheap (couple of quid) and that they obviously just need soldered onto the board (i'm no solder expert, probably beyond my capabilities).

anyone had experience of replacing/buying hall sensors, and either of doing it themselves, or if a shop was involved, how much did it cost ?

thanks in advance,
colin

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
At that rate better off buying a new controller.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
hi all,

my first bafang motor showed the error code for hall sensors (think it was 8, from memory/google).

stripped the motor and hall sensors were really tight in their grooves, had to prise the board off that they're attached to, which broke some of the connections to the hall sensors.

A bike shop has quoted me £80 to replace each faulty sensor, it was my understanding that the sensors themselves are very cheap (couple of quid) and that they obviously just need soldered onto the board (i'm no solder expert, probably beyond my capabilities).

anyone had experience of replacing/buying hall sensors, and either of doing it themselves, or if a shop was involved, how much did it cost ?

thanks in advance,
colin
I replaced hall sensors in a BBSHD. It was very straight forward and the hall sensors are cheap.
8pcs Bipolar Hall Sensor Bipolar 41F SS41 SH41 SS41F Electric Bike Motor Repair | eBay

There is another possibility. there is a white 6-way connector that goes from the controller to the motor. Sometimes that doesn't make good contact. It's probably glued down with that white rubber, which you have to pick off. You have to disconnect it any way to fix the hall sensors, so clean it up, reconnect it and test again before going further. You can see it in the fifth photo in post#18 of this thread.
BBS HD power cutting off and on | Pedelecs - Electric Bike Community

Soldering is very easy, but if you don't have a clue, you can take the whole assembly to a friend to solder it for you. if you ask enough friends/colleagues, somebody will be able to do it - a 5 minute job.

rgvkid

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 2, 2021
thanks for the replies, will need to check later but from memory the hall sensors were wedged in tight down side of motor, and we had to prise the board up which they're attached to, which caused from memory at least 2 of the sensors to become detached.
as you say, doesn't look like rocket science to resolder them, but deffo not convinced i wouldn't make a mess of it, so will try to find somebody else to do it.
cheers,
col