Replacing battery on eZee Sprint

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
I have just bought a secondhand eZee Sprint which is in overall pretty good condition. The only drawback is that the previous owner replaced the knackered battery with SLAs for economic reasons - but then, that's the reason I got the bike for a reasonable price!

Although they work OK, I see them only as a temporary stop-gap. Faced with the prospect of an eZee battery at £500+, I am considering one of Mr. Ping's LiFePo4 offerings.

A couple of questions: could I just connect one of the said batteries to the terminals where the SLAs are currently connected? Because then I could just replace the SLAs with the Ping; strapped to the carrier in a top pannier bag.
And, would I be daft to consiser the Ping 36v 20Ah battery? One of the things that first attracted me to Sprints was the posibility to connect two batteries to get about 22Ah, since I should like to be able to considerably extend the length of my trips. Would installing a big Ping battery give a similar result, or am I missing something?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Ping make good batteries so you could easily use one with an increased Ah. Or BMS battery sell cheaper alternatives that many on the forum have used with great success...

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
So a 20Ah battery will be fine with the 250w eZee motor?

Would it need a fuse, or does the BMS take care of that?

The SLA batteries installed by the bike's previous owner connect to a cable running from the rear carrier to the original terminals near the bottom bracket where the original battery sat. I presume I can just substitute a Ping battery for the SLAs? (Fortunately the 20Ah version is the same dimensions and about the same weight as the 3 SLAs.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Yes, should be fine. Also should be a simple substitution ifor the SLA's with the correct connectors. I would fit a suitable rated fuse along with an isolation on/off switch if not already fitted.

C

Cyclezee

Roger,

Firstly, Ping batteries a have good reputation, but the 36V 20Ah LiFePO4 battery you are considering does not have a case, so you need to take that element into consideration and budget for that too.
OK, now the cost $470 or £288 + shipping $109 or £67 making £355, so looks a bargain against £500 for 14Ah LiPo eZee battery.
Then you need to consider 20% VAT and 6% import duty, if you manage to avoid this, nothing else to pay, if not the price goes up to £447, not a huge saving. Also, the eZee battery is a slot in replacement for the original, no extra work required.

Last edited by a moderator:

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
I think the Ping battery is covered in duct tape or plastic shrink wrap, but it would have a place waiting for it in a top pannier bag where the SLAs are currently strapped to the carrier, so a case would not be essential.

Your point about costs was thought-provoking, though I know that many people don't seem to get charged the import costs.

But the main attraction of the Ping 20Ah for me is the extra mileage, which seems impossible to achieve otherwise except with two batteries.

To go off at a tangent, is VAT refundable on any of these sorts of batteries for vehicles when the purchaser is registered disabled? I ask because I saw on the website of a supplier of SLA batteries that they would obtain a VAT refund for disabled buyers. This was not just for mobility scooters but for ebikes too.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
There is a customs duty/VAT exemption scheme for some categories of disabled users. Your local C&E office will fill you in.

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
Thanks, Frank.
I am a bit alarmed to see that the V Power battery weighs 11.5kg compared to the Ping at 7.5kg (and 9kg from BMS)! How can there be such huge differences?

Edit: when you look down the page it states the weight to be 9.4kg!

Last edited:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

I think it is a mistake if you look down the list off battery's it says 20 AH 9.4 kilos

You need to look at the costs for delivery if you need urgent costs more

They use different cells and make a heavy duty battery

I personally would buy the battery from BMS with the heaver BMS 50 a / 100 a they use Headway cells with a 10 C rating

But the original posting was about Ping battery's

Frank

Last edited:

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
I was interested in the Ping because it seemed lighter and a bit more compact. Is that because BMS use heavier-duty cells?

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi yes the Headway cells are rated At 10 C charge and discharge so you can take 100 Amps continuous

The others are 2 C 20 amps continuous

Remember with BMS no charger in the price you need to order separate

Frank

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi Roger . . I know this is an old post, but just wondered if you had succeeded in getting a replacement battery, as a colleague of mine is looking for a battery and a charger for his EZEE Sprint, as I posted here ▶ https://www.facebook.com/groups/bristolelec/posts/3521599898078657/
Gut the battery and use the box for storage, then fit a rack battery. Alternatively, buy a similar sized battery able to give at least 25A, take out the cell-pack and stick it in the Ezee case, or buy just the cell-pack. It'sjust 4 wires to join. The only problem with Ezees is that other controllers don't like to play with the motor.

To answer your Facebook question, no, an Ezee battery is different to standard silver fish batteries. The bottom fits in a different way and the retainer is different. If you're handy with tools, you might be able to adapt the bike.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trevor George