Retirement, the beach and my dogs!

RedSkywalker

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2008
So now I have retired I have lots more time to spend on the beach with my 2 Springers BUT age is catching up so what I would like is an electric bike that is good on beaches (mainly soft sand).

I'm not worried about speed at all because the dogs will have to keep up but I'm not a "techy" type, so something simple to maintain would be a big plus. Had a look on Youtube and there are some machines the Americans call Fat Boys which look really good and have really wide tyres for sandy beaches - don't think they sell them over here though.

Any advice would be very much appreciated - cheers.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A fat ebike is what you need.

As well as the KTM, there is a Haibike/Bosch fat ebike for similar money.

Or for less money, this Cyclezee:

http://cyclezee.com/ezee-e-rex.html

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Any advice would be very much appreciated - cheers.
I couldn't believe how much sand was attracted on to my chain and sprockets after riding across fairly firm sand on an east coast beach several times over a long weekend last year. Chain and sprocket life will probably be much reduced if you habitually ride on sand unless you are meticulous about thoroughly cleaning your bike.

Big tyres do help in sand but even then, the odd spill can occur so care needs to be taken as the bit you land on might not be soft sand!

Tom

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you'd like this one:

Mutt