Returning my ebike to Decathlon tonight and here's why

rower

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2018
Berks and Bucks
You may have read my review of my ebike from a few months ago, in February. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/btwin-elops-900e-low-frame-dutch-bike-600km-and-loving-it-£999-but-£62-tyre-upgrade-recommended.30435/

The review of this bike was accurate for the time, but unfortunately, over the course of months, I have discovered things which have ticked me off to the point when I will be attempting to return it to Decathlon and get my money back under their 365 days return policy.

Firstly, the back wheel is an absolute pig to remove. The rear mech rubs badly with the nuts that hold the wheel on the axle (oh and the fun part? The rear nuts can't be removed without a round spanner, a regular adjustable won't work, and they're a different size to the ones on the front wheel). And putting it back on is even worse, it's a nightmare. This makes puncture repair, drivetrain maintenance and other routine servicing an exercise in foul language, faff and general unpleasantness which would be completely impossible on your own on a roadside off a country lane.

Secondly, after a click and creak from an unknown place developed on the bike, I took the bottom bracket and handlebar stem off to do maintenace/clean with the dad. It is clear that the bike was not fitted with basic procedures, for example, the steering tube wasn't greased, so aluminium has rubbed on aluminium creating rust and damage on the inside. The bottom bracket was loose, and of poor quality, and there are all kinds of gaps for water and other nasties to worm their way inside.

I will be trying to use the 365 days policy on the basis of the steering tube not having been greased, so I suspect all kinds of other shortcuts were taken which have created the mystery creak which is still there, despite a full on bottom bracket, cranks, pedals, headset and steering tube removal and service.

I will be soliciting a full cash refund as I'm planning on moving back home to a far less hilly neighbourhood and to use a regular touring bike for getting from a to b instead.

It's been great to have the ebike around rural hilly bits but unfortunately this one just isn't going to cut it. What a shame, because there were great points to the bike and I did over 800 miles of commuting on the thing.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
good luck, let us know how you get on - I am sure you will

What you describe is fairly typical of mass produced bikes - heck it was 30 years ago when I worked in my folks huge bike shop building up bikes, took at least half an our to track down all the little manufacturing "defects" and sort them. Barely greased assembly was (is) pretty normal. Cheapest possible component no customer is likely to see (eg BB) likewise

IMO these things aren't profiteering, its driven by customers who demand low prices / price points and manufacturers who have to cope in a very competitive world

Your comment on aluminium on aluminium wear creating rust is a curious one though - aluminium corrosion is usually white (its mostly alumina after all) - did you pressure wash the bike at all?

With 800 miles of use I think Decathlon could argue you have had "fair use" and have "accepted the product". I also think the laws on rejecting a product for full refund is on their side. Slightly different to your situation but when I bought a huge surf board bag for £10 in the Decathlon sale one autumn, knowing I could return it unused if the board (I had yet to buy) didn't fit - that felt ok. What you are doing sounds a bit more marginal "ethically" (deliberate inverted speech marks as I don't know what the right term would be - ethically feels too strong)

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and Woosh

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You may have read my review of my ebike from a few months ago, in February. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/btwin-elops-900e-low-frame-dutch-bike-600km-and-loving-it-£999-but-£62-tyre-upgrade-recommended.30435/

The review of this bike was accurate for the time, but unfortunately, over the course of months, I have discovered things which have ticked me off to the point when I will be attempting to return it to Decathlon and get my money back under their 365 days return policy.

Firstly, the back wheel is an absolute pig to remove. The rear mech rubs badly with the nuts that hold the wheel on the axle (oh and the fun part? The rear nuts can't be removed without a round spanner, a regular adjustable won't work, and they're a different size to the ones on the front wheel). And putting it back on is even worse, it's a nightmare. This makes puncture repair, drivetrain maintenance and other routine servicing an exercise in foul language, faff and general unpleasantness which would be completely impossible on your own on a roadside off a country lane.

Secondly, after a click and creak from an unknown place developed on the bike, I took the bottom bracket and handlebar stem off to do maintenace/clean with the dad. It is clear that the bike was not fitted with basic procedures, for example, the steering tube wasn't greased, so aluminium has rubbed on aluminium creating rust and damage on the inside. The bottom bracket was loose, and of poor quality, and there are all kinds of gaps for water and other nasties to worm their way inside.

I will be trying to use the 365 days policy on the basis of the steering tube not having been greased, so I suspect all kinds of other shortcuts were taken which have created the mystery creak which is still there, despite a full on bottom bracket, cranks, pedals, headset and steering tube removal and service.

I will be soliciting a full cash refund as I'm planning on moving back home to a far less hilly neighbourhood and to use a regular touring bike for getting from a to b instead.

It's been great to have the ebike around rural hilly bits but unfortunately this one just isn't going to cut it. What a shame, because there were great points to the bike and I did over 800 miles of commuting on the thing.
Fairly typical of what you will get with a £1,000 ebike.

OK at first blush, but cheap and nasty underneath so not a good long term prospect.

It's done quite well to do 800 commuting miles without breaking down to the extent of leaving you stranded.

Not sure on what basis you would be entitled to a return.

No harm in asking, Decathlon are big enough and ugly enough to look after themselves.

If you are knocked back, I don't think it's worth pursuing very hard.

Seems unlikely to me a county court would rule in your favour.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's a fairly common occurrence on rear hub motor wheels.
that's one point where crank drive bikes score well.
Most CD bikes have quick no tool releases, no catching with the rear mech hanger, the wheels are light and the rims are strong.

Fairly typical of what you will get with a £1,000 ebike.
For £1,000 budget, the Woosh Santana CD and Krieger have QR front and rear.

rower

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2018
Berks and Bucks
Your comment on aluminium on aluminium wear creating rust is a curious one though - aluminium corrosion is usually white (its mostly alumina after all) - did you pressure wash the bike at all?
No I've never used a hose on the bike, just sponge, bike shampoo, rotor cleaner, degreaser and lube plus the chain cleaning kit and brush. And rags obviously.

The professional maintenance I paid for by the ACT cytech level 2 geezer the other week didn't correct the fault either, all he could advise was that it wasn't a safety hazard, as he'd checked all the safety critical points, but it was seriously annoying! :eek:

Is this the real reason then why you are attempting to return it? Nothing to do with the alleged 'faults'?
No I'm just unhappy with the product, I've money and loads of time doing inspections and checks and there are still irritating persistent troubles, and it's clear there have been corners cut with assembly, not just use of cheap/obsolete parts. The actual electronics are fine, it's just the mechanical platform which is producing aggro. You have never ridden or heard this bike, you've no idea what it's like. When I own a bike I want to be able to maintain it with ease and for it not to creak and squeak with barely half a year's ownership!

If I'd have known this would happen I'd have spent a few more hundred quid on a better quality bike from e.g. Whoosh. I don't intend to take them to court or any of that nonsense, I just want to use their 365 days return policy -
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/terms.html#exchanges and hopefully since I bought the bike from online/click and collect, not in the store, the guys in the shop won't make things too hard for me.

If they do a full tear down of the bike and identify the problem and solve the squeaking and groaning then they'd have a case to give it back, but if not then it's clearly just a defective product as I've maintained it beautifully. The drivetrain, brakes, etc are spotless, but the flipping thing just softly groans and squeaks whenever I'm on it.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
change the head set bearings and fit a better make bottom bracket ;)

• Agree
Reactions: horseunderwater

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
...., I just want to use their 365 days return policy -
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/terms.html#exchanges and hopefully since I bought the bike from online/click and collect, not in the store, the guys in the shop won't make things too hard for me.
Their 365 day policy, the way I'm reading it, is to exchange unsuitable items, not to send back & get a full refund for items which have been extensively used.

• Agree
Reactions: tillson

rower

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2018
Berks and Bucks
Their 365 day policy, the way I'm reading it, is to exchange unsuitable items, not to send back & get a full refund for items which have been extensively used.
Well indeed, and after about half of that 365 day period I've found that the item is unsuitable because it's a pig to maintain to a satisfactory performance standard, I've found that it's been badly assembled, and it's making rotten groaning noises despite professionally certified maintenance and checks.

I didn't make the post to get sympathy votes, more as a warning for anyone who googles or searches for 'decathlon ebike' or similar. Will update on what happens later...

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I got rid of the problems with the bottom bracket on my Rockrider build by bunging in heaps of epoxy paste to hold the lock ring together :D Lasted for 3600 km!

After yesterdays accident I am pretty sure I will be changing the headset on the Riverside which has been groaning for quite a while anyway.

Both my Decathlon "barn finds" were older models and had much better components on them than the current ones. The price stays the same from year to year but they scrimp and save on component quality. If you want to see some butt ugly bikes go check out this years Decathlon "designs"! :eek:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A mate of mine has a fairly expensive Decathlon road bike.

He does quite a few miles and has been pleased with it.

Decathlon cheaper bikes really are cheap - and nasty.

As regards creaks, no bike, regardless of cost, is totally silent all the time.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you'd really need to spend £600+ for a really good bike, then there is the cost of the conversion on top. Anything under £1200 is a compromise on some aspect on the mechanical bike. Even then, bikes need more looking after than motorbikes and cars. Keep it dry, keep it clean, keep its tyres well pumped up, keep it lubed.
All metal surfaces will acquire some corrosion in time, even aluminium because of the presence of salt and pollutants in the air. Stainless steel fares better but only paints can protect metal.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tillson and tommie

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
An ebike costing £999 new

Covered over 800 miles

Cons: 1. rear wheel difficult to remove - 2. an annoying click and a creak

and you want a `full cash refund` because of that??!! o_O

an outside chance with a £4k Riese & Muller maybe, but you must be realistic here.

rower

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2018
Berks and Bucks
Complaining wheel nuts can't be undone using adjustable spanner says lot about your mechanic skills or lack of them.
When the other side of the nut isn't accessible because the rear mech's sticking out, almost in direct contact with the nut in such a way that an adjustable spanner is not viable, it's not. But you're completely ignorant about the setup of the bike and braying like an ignorant nob...

Anyway taken the bike back to the shop and they just said they hoped I'd find a bike I like in the future, and gave me some paperwork to signify acceptance of the product and the money I'm owed, which their customer loyalty mob will allegedly wire across to me in good time. Not counting myself out of the woods until the next bank statement shows the result is in, but otherwise good effort from Decathlon showing solid customer service, just a shame I didn't get on with their product. I've got loads of good Decathlon hiking stuff and my dad's ridden B'Twin bikes for yonks, this one just wasn't to be.

Last edited:

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
When the other side of the nut isn't accessible because the rear mech's sticking out in such a way that an adjustable spanner is not viable, it's not..
i see what you mean re. the rear wheel nut and your weapon of choice, the `adjustable spanner`

elops-900-e-low-frame-electric-bike.jpg
however, could i introduce you to an item called the `Ring Spanner`??
Or how about purchasing a nice new shiny `Socket Set`

;)

rower

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2018
Berks and Bucks
i see what you mean re. the rear wheel nut and your weapon of choice, the `adjustable spanner`

View attachment 24347
however, could i introduce you to an item called the `Ring Spanner`??
Or how about purchasing a nice new shiny `Socket Set`

;)
Yes exactly, sadly I don't have a saddle bag that fits a socket set! Just baffles me that they didn't design it with being able to fix it with a regular compact toolset when on the roadside (or at least use the same size nuts on the front wheel?). Oh well, hopefully not my circus and not my monkeys anymore :rolleyes: