Review of my Bionx PL-350

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
1 year on....

Having had the Bionx for just over a year now, I thought I'd update my review - but there isn't a great deal to add. I've had the kit for 13 months now and covered about 2350 miles, wet and dry, warm and cold, which is a few hundred off what I was expecting, for various reasons.

The news is all pretty good - it continues to work very well, just as it did when I first fitted it. The battery seems to last near enough as long, although maybe a few miles less, but I have never drained it entirely so can't say for sure. I have followed Flecc's advice and charged the battery at every opportunity, including after the 6-7 mile ride into work.

I took a tumble recently and the only think to break, apart from my skin, was the clip that holds the console onto the handlebars, and Bert at NyceWheels quickly sent me a replacement, so full marks to him again.

At about 1000 miles a rear spoke broke, and then another went at about 1100. I bought a set of spokes in readiness to get a new wheel made up - and haven't broken another spoke since, so I still have my set of spare spokes.

The battery charge indicator on the console has a quirk whereby it stops showing that the battery is fully charged. Bert told me some diagnostics to run, and the battery is in fact fully charging, and there's a simple re-set for the console which I do every couple of months.

Other than that, all is tickety-boo :D

I get paid to cycle to work so over the year I have made a few hundred pounds instead of paying them out in petrol and carparking, so there's another bonus.

Cheers
Nick

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's all good news Nick, pleased it continues to run well.

It's the big advantage of direct drive that the simplicity means there's very little to go wrong mechanically, and as long as the electronic controls are well designed a long life is fairly certain.

I wish Sparta had been as enlightened about owner involvement in resetting with their Ion M gear direct drive motor, since that has to go back to base for resetting for many reasons, even a rear wheel out tube change!

Canadian Cadence

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
I have had my 350 bionx system for about 17 months now and have about the same mileage as you do Nick. I have noticed no fade in my battery at all ......I wonder if this has to do with the type of lithium battery? I believe it is a Sony battery.

I was wondering if you can tell me how you get the console to register in diagnostic mode to check voltage and how you reset the battery indicator.

The motor is really a gem on these bikes and seeing as it has a larger diameter I think it gives it more torque than other direct drives.

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
My 350PL kit still going strong - over 2 years of use now. To be honest I can't notice any battery fade. Only issue is spare 500watt motor (for offroad) blew. Otherwise fabulous machine! Hack to 200watt still works.