Review of Woosh Krieger

reddog

Just Joined
Aug 9, 2015
I thought I'd put this review on as I was looking for reviews when looking to purchase a while back.
I purchased a Woosh Krieger at the end of February, and as other reviewers of the Woosh company have said, the bike arrived promptly, with full instructions, and was straightforward to put together (as long as instructions are followed properly!)
My journey to work is 17 miles, and very hilly, with about 400m altitude climbing each way (Balfron to Rowardennan). It was taking me about 1.5 hrs to 1hr 40 mins to do it on a normal bike, and I'd be pretty knackered after it, and as a result didn't do the cycle very often. My work vehicle is a pick up, heavy on diesel, and I am trying to reduce usage of it for home to work, hence the desire to get on the bike more.The Krieger seemed to be the only bike I could find with the capacity to cope with my return journey, that was anywhere near affordable.
I've not been able to use the bike as often as I'd hoped, but have done the commute about 15 times now since getting it, which is just over 500 miles.
I'm really pleased with the bike, and it was a great buy. It has reduced the cycle time down to just over an hour, which is a pretty acceptable home to work time. It can also be blowing a gale, or other rough weather, and you can still keep up a good time on it. I found it a bit weird to get used to first; there is a bit of a "lurch" on the pedals you don't get on a normal bike, but once I'd got used to that it's been fine. The bike is heavy, and I've found on relatively flat stretches that can be a bit of a hindrance, as you can't go as fast as you would on a normal, lighter bike, but the compensation of being able to fly (relatively speaking) up all the hills more than compensates. The weight also means you get a good speed up on the downhills too. The bike also has a sturdy carrier on the back, that I've had relatively heavy loads on with no problem.
The battery has been able to cope with the full return journey every time, although is pretty depleted by the time I get back home. Most of the time I've got it on the mid levels of assistance (2 to 3), but regularly put it up to 4 or 5 for the steeper hills. The two options for providing power assistance, through pedal or throttle, have been straightforward to use.
I have had to keep an eye on one or two things, for instance the pedal shank bolts keep working loose every 90 to 100 miles, no matter how tightly they are tightened, although I haven't tried putting any threadlocker on yet. I am also slightly concerned about the battery mounting, with only two small bolts keeping this attached to the frame. On rough roads, which there are plenty of around here, the heavy battery is getting a fair bit of shaking/vibration, and I'm not convinced the thread on these bolts is going to stand the test of time. If they do go I will probably drill through the other side of the frame and just put long bolts all the way through, so there is a solution if that does become a problem.
Overall though, for anyone with a similarly hilly journey and distance looking for a suitable electric bike, I'd have no hesitation recommending the Krieger as a great option.

D

Deleted member 4366

You can't put bolts all the way through because the frame will flatten and make them loose again. Instead, you can put in new clinch nuts.

Reactions: reddog

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Don't drill through both sides of the frame,this will weaken the down tube and could cause it to fold at that point.
Instead use the next size up rivnuts-a rivnut is assembled like a pop rivet but leaves a nut retained in the frame.
KudosDave

Reactions: reddog

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
You could just put a strap around it. I do that with my battery and it stops it from rattling. I have heard of frame attached batteries jumping out of cradles on bad roads.

reddog

Just Joined
Aug 9, 2015
Thanks for the advice about the battery. I won't drill through the frame now! Hopefully it'll stay good anyway but will look into the rivnuts/clinch nuts instead if it does go. Yes I've got it strapped on with tape to reduce shake.
Cheers

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I stuck some window seal rubber on my battery holder, does wonders.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The simple remedy is to add an extra rivnut or two to add rigidity, wait until your warranty is over though or contact Woosh first.