Richbit eMTB

Andy1865

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2017
Hi all, i was just wondering if someone could give the heads up on a Richbit 1000w eMTB. Thanks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Unfortunately it's not an eMTB as it is 1000w, it is a low powered moped.
What ever the specs if it is sub 1k don't expect too much from the battery.
Without a link can't say any more.

Reactions: Niko J.

Andy1865

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2017
Does the battery wear out quickly then? . If you Google Richbit 1000w ebikes you'd prob be able to give me more info on them Neal.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Just copy and paste to send a link. https://www.richbit.co.uk/
Interesting bike. Not road legal as an eBike as Nealh pointed out. I've no experience of it but a few comments.

The 1000w motor probably isn't 4 times more powerful than a typical 250w rated one; the 250w is a continuous rating and most can deliver much more. Some intentionally understate their power to satisfy the rather curious legislation. It doesn't seem to say whether the motor is geared or not; high power ones often aren't. That can make a big difference to how effectively it uses the power. However, it is probably still a lot more powerful than a (nominal) 250w one.

A very capable battery (17aH, 48v = 816wH). With a battery like that many more conventional ebikes would quote a 100 mile range.

An Amazon anwser to Is this road legal in the UK? that says We recommend using this e-bike on private land. If you want to use it on public roads, you can limit the speed to 25km/h. is incorrect (or at best, incomplete). Even with the speed limited to 25km/h this would remain illegal as an uninsured, untaxed eBike.

Last edited:

Andy1865

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2017
Thanks for your imput sjpt. Having a Coyote Lexington 21spd 29er eMTB conversion 2000watt delivered tomorrow from Hi-powercycles U.K formally know as Xipi. com. Have you heard of them?

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
Just wondering where you ride high power ebikes?
They are not legal on roads unless taxed and insured as a moped. They are not allowed on mixed use public trails at all as they are classed as powered motor vehicles. From what I have been told they are only legal on private (not public access) land with the land owners permission.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Andy1865

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2017
Just wondering where you ride high power ebikes?
They are not legal on roads unless taxed and insured as a moped. They are not allowed on mixed use public trails at all as they are classed as powered motor vehicles. From what I have been told they are only legal on private (not public access) land with the land owners permission.
Where i live theres a farmers field and track i ride on there with his permission

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Sometimes you lot are too quick with the pointy finger and "low powered moped" rant.

Is it just me, or does that look like any other 250W geared motor? It's certainly not a 1000W rated motor. It possibly outputs 1000W of power and the advert mentions a 1000W battery which would back that up, but that wouldn't make it illegal.

I'd say that Richbit join the long list of vendors that don't have a bloody clue what they're selling and maybe that tells all you need to know.

Last edited: