Riding home after a beer anyone?

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
We had a "few" after work at Christmas and I road home (in hindsight it was a stupid idea..).

My max speed was 22 mph before that night, had a look a few days after and it was 32mph..

Never again!, 2 pints tops from now on.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Did it once and will never do it again. Quite literally almost died through my own stupidity.

Works night out, rode the bike to the nearest tram station, got tram into work. Fair few beers after work, got tram back, got on bike....pedal dropped off on way home.
Tried to push it, ride it with one pedal.
I am a diabetic....too much beer and then low blood sugar was a really bad combination.
Ended up lost and in a right state.
Was lucky that a polish delivery driver was passing by, in the middle of nowhere, well after midnight.
Thankfully he stopped to find me sprawled out on the side of the road, threw the bike in the back of his van and me in the front...filled me with sugar and took me home. He was a life saver.

Was quite literally a life changing event. Never again.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
Around 20 years ago we were invited to a party about 4 miles from home on the far side of the valley where we live. The property we were visiting had a long drive and at such social gatherings the cars were parked nose to tail along the drive. I didn't fancy being trapped with 6 or 7 cars behind me so decided to go by bike.

The evening progressed and I consumed the largest part of a bottle of Highland Park. Despite this I felt fine, neither up nor down really, and when the time came to go home I put on my hi-viz suit, switched on my lights, and headed off thinking to myself "this is a piece of ****, nae bother tae the big man".

It was after a mile or so I began to feel a bit tired and in fact all I wanted was to lie down and sleep but I knew I couldn't that. I started down the hill into the valley and by this time the fresh air and exercise had taken their toll and I was now steaming drunk.

I remember trying to steer away from the verge but in that drunken way in which your body refuses the brain's instructions I drifted off the road and onto the verge. The front wheel went into a drainage grip and stopped. I of course continued travelling at my previous speed right over the handlebars and landed on my back.

Drink also distorts time, I lay there thinking that wasn't so bad, I don't think I've hurt anything, and that's when the bike landed on my face. I really don't know how long I lay there but I was aware of several cars going past, but nobody stopped.

I eventually pushed the bike off and tried to survey the damage in the pitch dark. I could feel a lot of blood around my face and I was now bloody sore as I started the long walk home pushing the bike.

Once in the light at home I could see the mess,there was blood down my front, I had 2 black eyes, facial cuts and bruising and I'd lost my glasses. As for the bike, the front wheel was goosed along with the front light and a few other bits and pieces.

What did I learn? If I'm on wheels that I'm in charge of then drink will not be taken.

wheeler

Rouge Rider

Pedelecer
May 14, 2017
Sunderland
I've only ridden pissed once,it was a Friday night I think,before the safc vs lfc 92 cup final.it was about 03.00 in the morning and I'd decided to head 8-10 to Hartlepool to a friends house,coming out of my street and down a grass bank I inevitably went arse over tit...a policeman at the bp garage over the road couldn't stop laughing"had a good night" superb really,he could of made my life Hell i suppose but was super cool compared to some

Reactions: Tugwell Gibson