Riding illegal bikes can lead to being charged with driving offences.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It says in that video that he was cleared of manslaughter and not charged with dangerous driving. Instead, he was charged with furious cycling, which means he was dealt with as a cyclist, not a motor vehicle. I guess that the court decided that his bike complied with pedelec law.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It says in that video that he was cleared of manslaughter and not charged with dangerous driving. Instead, he was charged with furious cycling, which means he was dealt with as a cyclist, not a motor vehicle. I guess that the court decided that his bike complied with pedelec law.
according to the Mail, he's bailed until next year.

Hanlon is charged with one count of causing death by careless driving, one of causing death while uninsured and one of causing death while unlicensed.

D

Deleted member 25121

Hanlon is charged with one count of causing death by careless driving, one of causing death while uninsured and one of causing death while unlicensed
All 3 charges suggest that the bike had been dongled, none of those charges could apply with an ebike with a motor assist cutoff of 15.5mph.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
All 3 charges suggest that the bike had been dongled, none of those charges could apply with an ebike with a motor assist cutoff of 15.5mph.
looks like it has a rear hub motor so no dongle needed as you can change the settings in the display also known as a of road switch.

D

Deleted member 25121

looks like it has a rear hub motor so no dongle needed as you can change the settings in the display also known as a of road switch.
It's a Specialized ebike and I thought they used crank driven motors. It could be as converted Specialized pushbike of course.
Not that that's at all relevant to the crimes allegedly committed.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
  • Disagree
Reactions: ebiker99

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I though (others may well be able to correct me here) that if it is switchable to an illegal mode it is remains illegal whatever setting it is on at the time.

• Agree
Reactions: soundwave

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Looking at that video, which is all that a court can do, the cyclist was well out into the road and the woman had to run to throw herself under him. Makes me wonder if someone threw himself of a motorway bridge onto my car if I would be blamed.
The court can also study the bicycle to see if it was legal or illegal.

What I can't see in the video is the state of the lights. I think it very probable that the cyclist was running a red light. I have nearly been hit by a (non-electric) cyclist in an almost identical crossing (New Cross Gate) long after the lights had changed. It may be in the video case that the woman was a little impatient and started crossing when the road lights went red, rather than waiting for the pedestrian lights to go green.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
It is still a hit and run and that makes him appear pretty guilty before anything else is even established.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In the video he was certainly going at a fair lick, there was another cyclist some way ahead of him on the N/S and he was catching him hand over fist. What we can't see is a proper clear view of the rear hub and whether a geared or D/D hub my suspicions are that it is likely a D/D hub.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A legal bike can't be convicted of speeding but a charge of wanton or furious riding can be used.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
It seems pretty irrelevant if the lights were red or green if he was riding an illegal bike it is his fault due to the fact he should not be on the road.

D

Deleted member 25121

A legal bike can't be convicted of speeding but a charge of wanton or furious riding can be used.
He's being charged on 3 counts: causing death by careless driving, causing death while uninsured and causing death while unlicensed. None of those charges could be brought if the bike was legal.

It's not a legal bike.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
google new york ebike death ;)

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Makes me wonder if someone threw himself of a motorway bridge onto my car if I would be blamed.
If you were found to be driving uninsured and or unlicenced then its likely you'll be prosecuted for that.

A few years back I was out on my m/bike forgetting the MOT had run out two days prior. I'd parked up in a side street and while away it was knocked over in a hit & run. Witnesses came and told me and provided a description and reg no. of car.

Off I popped to the local police station to report it and as a matter of course I was on a producer, where my lack of MOT became apparent. Lo and behold I was soon up in front of the magistrate in the easiest police case ever. Thankfully the magistrate was lenient with me imposing minimum fine for my offence after hearing my sob story. Nothing was done to the car driver...

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
It seems pretty irrelevant if the lights were red or green if he was riding an illegal bike it is his fault due to the fact he should not be on the road.
There are two separate kinds of offences involved. Riding uninsured etc applies if the bike was illegal, and would apply even if he was riding it perfectly (though he might not get caught in that case). He can't be held for those however fast/badly he was riding if the bike was legal; and the lights are irrelevant as you say.

The second kind of offence is the reckless driving/riding. The technical details of that offence will depend on whether the bike was illegal (driving) or not (riding). It looks almost certain he is guilty of such an offence. If he shot a red light he is absolutely guilty of this.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It is still a hit and run and that makes him appear pretty guilty before anything else is even established.
He can say that he was dazed and didn't know what he was doing.. The court would have to decide if that's a valid excuse. Some people get away with murder with worse excuses than that. What about the USA policewoman that went into the flat above and shot the guy in there, saying she thought he was an intruder. I wonder if his loud music and stomping around on her ceiling had anything to do with it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Until the case has concluded or during the beaks summing up we won't know the outcome but like the Alston case (no ebike) he will likely go to jail if illegality is found/proven.
There will be a knee jerk reaction after the case by the media and suspect the Met will for a while be stopping a lot of e bikes but generally it will all go by the way until some one else has an accident.