Riding in the rain

AshleyBrayson

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Rugby UK
I assume that batteries are somewhat weather resistant but how many of you ride in all weather? Do you cover your battery in any way? I'm assuming water near the terminals can't be a good thing.

Reactions: LeighPing

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Depends on the bike I suppose , the promo for mine showed it being ridden in gloop and through a river , two year motor warranty, manufacturer's problem ;)

• Informative

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I ride mine in the rain and used to cover up the display with all sorts of stuff, and then stopped bothering. I once rode home in a thunderstorm and only issue I ever had was a bit of condensation in the display which went away next day, but did creep back on cold damp days. I think the only real danger is submersion..

• Agree
D

Deleted member 4366

I assume that batteries are somewhat weather resistant but how many of you ride in all weather? Do you cover your battery in any way? I'm assuming water near the terminals can't be a good thing.
Different bikes seem to have different tolerance to the rain. I've ridden mine in the rain quite a lot and never had any problems. I think the worse thing you can do is leave your bike out in the rain without a cover.

ttxela

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridgeshire
I ride my Kalkhoff in the rain all the time, I bought it to commute, if it starts raining whilst I'm at work I don't have much choice if I want to get home!

I don't do anything additional to protect it, as far as I am concerned cycling is an outdoor activity so the equipment should cope with the weather!

No problems so far and I've been in some pretty heavy downpours.

• Agree
Reactions: argoose

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
I commute every single day rain or shine, the bike has been faultless. I'm more concerned with keeping myself dry.

I now wear this every day:

New Mask.jpg

It keeps the rain off my face and it keeps me face really warm. I think it cost me £6.28

Here's the link if anyone is interested:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROBESBON-Goggles-with-Detachable-Mask-and-Mouth-Padding-Helmet-Sunglasses/272913153842?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=49131&meid=6d375c0dc76648f2a67104219c42d976&pid=100012&rk=2&rkt=8&sd=201997483674&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Do you scare small children? :eek:

• :D

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I commute every single day rain or shine, the bike has been faultless. I'm more concerned with keeping myself dry.

I now wear this every day:

View attachment 22566

It keeps the rain off my face and it keeps me face really warm. I think it cost me £6.28

Here's the link if anyone is interested:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROBESBON-Goggles-with-Detachable-Mask-and-Mouth-Padding-Helmet-Sunglasses/272913153842?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=49131&meid=6d375c0dc76648f2a67104219c42d976&pid=100012&rk=2&rkt=8&sd=201997483674&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985
Do you take it off if you go in a shop?

PatH

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2015
All weather, all year, and the bike lives outdoors, regular (daily) use and care and maintenance is more important and effective than worrying about corrosion or water damage.

Battery tends to stay on the bike unless indoors charging.

Couple of times seen some 'green' on the connection of battery to bike, but I just wipe that off, the thing has got mudguards, ergo, might encounter water.

It hates cold damp fog though.

Mind you so do I.

Last edited:
  • Informative

PatH

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2015
No, I tried a cover, but couldn't be faffed.

There is not much to rust on it, chain and sprockets, but they get oil, most of the nuts and bolts are stainless steel, etc.

As I say, I use it all the time, which must help shake off any water lurking in crevices. Plus a spray of WD40 fairly often.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
No, I tried a cover, but couldn't be faffed.

There is not much to rust on it, chain and sprockets, but they get oil, most of the nuts and bolts are stainless steel, etc.

As I say, I use it all the time, which must help shake off any water lurking in crevices. Plus a spray of WD40 fairly often.
Wow! Your bike's almost as hard as mine then! :D

muddyfox1.jpg

PatH

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2015
Heh! I cleaned it yesterday. Have you tried cleaning? It's good for the soul....

Gave it the upside down treatment yesterday and there was all kinds of muck lurking, bits of straw, leaf mush, horse ****, but you know what? Half an hour later and she was looking shiny. Oiled the rust on the chain, pumped up the tyres to 5 bar, went for a spin, smiled...:)

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Heh! I cleaned it yesterday. Have you tried cleaning? It's good for the soul....

Gave it the upside down treatment yesterday and there was all kinds of muck lurking, bits of straw, leaf mush, horse ****, but you know what? Half an hour later and she was looking shiny. Oiled the rust on the chain, pumped up the tyres to 5 bar, went for a spin, smiled...:)
The most I do is grease the chain and other moving parts that need it. I find that the rest drops off, once more mud is added. :cool:

PatH

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2015
Well alright, my bike is not an offroader, but where it lives gets mucky and I'm brave and sometimes do the meon valley trail, I'll do a before and after photo...

This is today, after cleaning... Christmas clean.jpg

PatH

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2015
...The duster under the battery serves 2 purposes, rattle reduction and a handy, err, duster.

But that is where the bike lives, day and night, uncovered, and it looks not bad for 2.5 years old.

• Agree

PatH

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2015
post meon.jpg Post Meon Valley run...

If you think the DM's need a clean then it's nothing compared to the bike (too dark to take a photo).

The skirt guard thing saves a lot of trouser cleaning.

• Informative