Riese and Müller Homage GT Vario - second impressions

StrawHatMan

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 22, 2020
I thought it was time to provide a brief update of my previous posts about this ebike. I have now completed 135 miles - not enough for a review but more than enough to summarise my second impressions. My first impressions were very positive.

I’m a 70 year old and this is my first ebike. This Riese and Muller model has full suspension and allows easy step through - a feature that I may need more as time takes its toll. I have the 500Wh battery with the Enviolo infinitely variable gear hub and the knobbly Schwalbe Rock Razor tyres that come with the GT version. I live adjacent to the old Scarborough to Whitby railway line, known locally as the Cinder Track, and which is part of the National Cycle Route 1. I’m sure that many Pedelecers will be familiar with the bumpy nature of the Cinder Track which has rubble, pot holes and loose gravel in abundant quantities throughout its length. Sustrans has a detailed plan for the track’s improvement and upgrade but this, as always, is dependent upon funding availability. The old railway line provides wonderful views along its length towards the coast, sea and hills of the North Yorks Moors National Park.

Now for my second impressions of the bike. I chose the 500Wh battery in the hope that it would be sufficient for everything that I needed and my big test was to be a ride along the Cinder Track to Whitby and back - a total distance of 40 miles. The journey was broken down into stages: first get to Ravenscar then Robin Hoods Bay and if I felt up to continuing to Whitby and if I estimated sufficient battery energy for the return journey, I would continue on to Whitby. I’m pleased to report that the bike, once again, performed flawlessly. The full suspension made for a comfortable ride despite the bumpy track and the battery/motor augmented my power availability whenever needed. The Cinder Track has a steady incline to Ravenscar followed by a mainly freewheeling section to Robin Hoods Bay, which in turn is followed by a steady ascent to the highest point near Hawsker with a final freewheeling section down to Whitby. Of course, I needed to ensure sufficient battery power for my return journey! The first stage to Ravenscar was mainly in Eco mode as I wanted to conserve my battery. Freewheeling to RHB on the 29” tyres was great fun. Incidentally, I have noticed that when freewheeling on my ebike my speed is generally higher than non-electric bikes. My theory is that the extra weight of the bike produces an extra gravitational advantage. I selected Tour mode from RHB to Hawsker because the ascent was steeper and into a fairly stiff Northerly wind. This was compensated by the freewheeling section into Whitby and I had lunch sitting on a bench on the harbour wall with views south over to the Abbey, town and cliffs. Perfect. Incredibly, the bike still had four bars out of a maximum of five on its battery condition indicator. It seemed to me that I had more than enough battery energy for my return journey. The return was without incident and was the mirror image of that to Whitby. I used Tour mode whenever there was a steeper incline because I wanted to conserve my own energy and I had confidence that the bike’s battery would get me back home. The battery condition indicator still had three bars out of five after 40 miles and five hours riding. For me, this is as much as I ever wanted from the bike. I didn’t want the second battery option, giving a total of 1000 Wh, because I thought it spoiled the aesthetics of the bike with a big blister on the downtube and restricted the step through facility which was important to me. I also couldn’t justify the extra cost of £839. This, of course, will not be the right decision for every potential user, so it is good to have the choice. Readers may be interested to know that this is the first time that I have been able to complete the return journey to Whitby in the thirty years that I have lived near the Cinder Track. The combination of my old bone shaker and the moonscape sections of the track together with the distance and, it has to be said, my condition, had always prevented me. Well, dear readers, not any more! Hooray for the invention of the ebike.

A second journey the following day saw me leave the Cinder Track to undertake a trip into the hills behind my village. There is a long and steep incline that I last tried 12 years ago on a Dawes 27 gear touring bike. I have never made it to the top in one go. Fortunately, there is a convenient bench positioned a couple of hundred metres from the summit. Just the place to admire the view towards Scarborough Castle whilst I caught my breath whilst attempting to preserve some dignity. On this trip, my bike took me to the top without any problem whatsoever. I selected Turbo mode which gave me plenty of power on the long, steep hill and there was plenty in reserve. A stop at a local viewing point, Reasty Bank, was followed by a steep descent and returning home via Harwood Dale. Only twelve miles and one hour, but the challenging hill together with the battery still having four bars at the end of the ride gives me confidence to undertake further journey into the hills and vales of the North Yorks Moors National Park.

My summary of my second impressions of the Riese and Müller Homage GT Vario is that the bike gives a very comfortable ride when off-road and copes with steep hills and fairly long distances without presenting any problems. So far, it has proved itself to be perfect for my needs and has extended my cycling range considerably. I have only completed a little over 130 miles in just over a week so it is far too soon for a formal review, but my second impressions enhance my first impressions of this being a really good bike, so far.

E6912B12-46E1-4791-8BF2-FA8DCC1CA633.jpeg

Last edited:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Nice report StrawHatMan. Although I have never ridden one The Homage looks a very good bike, under the radar so to speak but eminently capable. The ride you describe sounds very satisfying to accomplish. Now you can plan lots of other adventures!

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Thank you for an interesting read, both re the bike and the routes taken.

On the point of using cycleways on disused railway tracks, is the "Cinder Track" itself a rewarding ride, in that close by I have the "Meon Valley Track" but this is grossly spoilt by the growth of the track side vegetation.
There now is very little vista as unkempt the hedges and trees have grown so much that you see precious little of the wonderful Hampshire countryside. Safer than our lanes, but not rewarding other than for exercise.

Reactions: RetiredAndRolling

StrawHatMan

May 22, 2020
Thank you for an interesting read, both re the bike and the routes taken.

On the point of using cycleways on disused railway tracks, is the "Cinder Track" itself a rewarding ride, in that close by I have the "Meon Valley Track" but this is grossly spoilt by the growth of the track side vegetation.
There now is very little vista as unkempt the hedges and trees have grown so much that you see precious little of the wonderful Hampshire countryside. Safer than our lanes, but not rewarding other than for exercise.
Yes - the Cinder Track is a very interesting ride although, as my description makes clear, it has sections that are difficult because of exposed bricks, stones and loose gravel. However, don’t let this put you off! There are magnificent uninterrupted views towards the sea and across Robin Hoods Bay as well as Whitby Abbey and down the coast to Scarborough and beyond. It would seem to me that these old railway track are priceless community assets that should be preserved for all to use. There may be a local group who has an interest in the Meon Valley track or maybe Sustrans may have plans for the track.

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
Needs a seperate thread really but Sustrans were very involved with 'improving' the Meon Trail. They rely on local volunteer wardens to help control vegitation growth, maybe something for local riders to consider helping with. I've cycled the Wickham/West Meon route before but it is a little far for me to help out with.

I had intended cycling the Cinder track in May but the hotel had to cancel due to the current problems, maybe next year. Thanks for the write-up I found it very interesting.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I thought it was time to provide a brief update of my previous posts about this ebike. I have now completed 135 miles - not enough for a review but more than enough to summarise my second impressions. My first impressions were very positive.

I’m a 70 year old and this is my first ebike. This Riese and Muller model has full suspension and allows easy step through - a feature that I may need more as time takes its toll. I have the 500Wh battery with the Enviolo infinitely variable gear hub and the knobbly Schwalbe Rock Razor tyres that come with the GT version. I live adjacent to the old Scarborough to Whitby railway line, known locally as the Cinder Track, and which is part of the National Cycle Route 1. I’m sure that many Pedelecers will be familiar with the bumpy nature of the Cinder Track which has rubble, pot holes and loose gravel in abundant quantities throughout its length. Sustrans has a detailed plan for the track’s improvement and upgrade but this, as always, is dependent upon funding availability. The old railway line provides wonderful views along its length towards the coast, sea and hills of the North Yorks Moors National Park.

Now for my second impressions of the bike. I chose the 500Wh battery in the hope that it would be sufficient for everything that I needed and my big test was to be a ride along the Cinder Track to Whitby and back - a total distance of 40 miles. The journey was broken down into stages: first get to Ravenscar then Robin Hoods Bay and if I felt up to continuing to Whitby and if I estimated sufficient battery energy for the return journey, I would continue on to Whitby. I’m pleased to report that the bike, once again, performed flawlessly. The full suspension made for a comfortable ride despite the bumpy track and the battery/motor augmented my power availability whenever needed. The Cinder Track has a steady incline to Ravenscar followed by a mainly freewheeling section to Robin Hoods Bay, which in turn is followed by a steady ascent to the highest point near Hawsker with a final freewheeling section down to Whitby. Of course, I needed to ensure sufficient battery power for my return journey! The first stage to Ravenscar was mainly in Eco mode as I wanted to conserve my battery. Freewheeling to RHB on the 29” tyres was great fun. Incidentally, I have noticed that when freewheeling on my ebike my speed is generally higher than non-electric bikes. My theory is that the extra weight of the bike produces an extra gravitational advantage. I selected Tour mode from RHB to Hawsker because the ascent was steeper and into a fairly stiff Northerly wind. This was compensated by the freewheeling section into Whitby and I had lunch sitting on a bench on the harbour wall with views south over to the Abbey, town and cliffs. Perfect. Incredibly, the bike still had four bars out of a maximum of five on its battery condition indicator. It seemed to me that I had more than enough battery energy for my return journey. The return was without incident and was the mirror image of that to Whitby. I used Tour mode whenever there was a steeper incline because I wanted to conserve my own energy and I had confidence that the bike’s battery would get me back home. The battery condition indicator still had three bars out of five after 40 miles and five hours riding. For me, this is as much as I ever wanted from the bike. I didn’t want the second battery option, giving a total of 1000 Wh, because I thought it spoiled the aesthetics of the bike with a big blister on the downtube and restricted the step through facility which was important to me. I also couldn’t justify the extra cost of £839. This, of course, will not be the right decision for every potential user, so it is good to have the choice. Readers may be interested to know that this is the first time that I have been able to complete the return journey to Whitby in the thirty years that I have lived near the Cinder Track. The combination of my old bone shaker and the moonscape sections of the track together with the distance and, it has to be said, my condition, had always prevented me. Well, dear readers, not any more! Hooray for the invention of the ebike.

A second journey the following day saw me leave the Cinder Track to undertake a trip into the hills behind my village. There is a long and steep incline that I last tried 12 years ago on a Dawes 27 gear touring bike. I have never made it to the top in one go. Fortunately, there is a convenient bench positioned a couple of hundred metres from the summit. Just the place to admire the view towards Scarborough Castle whilst I caught my breath whilst attempting to preserve some dignity. On this trip, my bike took me to the top without any problem whatsoever. I selected Turbo mode which gave me plenty of power on the long, steep hill and there was plenty in reserve. A stop at a local viewing point, Reasty Bank, was followed by a steep descent and returning home via Harwood Dale. Only twelve miles and one hour, but the challenging hill together with the battery still having four bars at the end of the ride gives me confidence to undertake further journey into the hills and vales of the North Yorks Moors National Park.

My summary of my second impressions of the Riese and Müller Homage GT Vario is that the bike gives a very comfortable ride when off-road and copes with steep hills and fairly long distances without presenting any problems. So far, it has proved itself to be perfect for my needs and has extended my cycling range considerably. I have only completed a little over 130 miles in just over a week so it is far too soon for a formal review, but my second impressions enhance my first impressions of this being a really good bike, so far.

View attachment 35973
I too have a Homage with the GT upgrade but opted for the Rohloff geared hub, otherwise they are the same.
Now have 600+ miles and will right a review at 1,000 miles. I agree with you it is a cracking bike not my first but I hope the last but who knows.

You write well and make me wish I could revisit the Scarborough/Whitby area, it's been many years.

WHat colour is your bike, I chose the red one.

StrawHatMan

May 22, 2020
I too have a Homage with the GT upgrade but opted for the Rohloff geared hub, otherwise they are the same.
Now have 600+ miles and will right a review at 1,000 miles. I agree with you it is a cracking bike not my first but I hope the last but who knows.

You write well and make me wish I could revisit the Scarborough/Whitby area, it's been many years.

WHat colour is your bike, I chose the red one.
I’m sorry for my late reply - I’ve been too busy riding my bike! I chose red and I’m looking forward to reading your 1000 mile review.

Reactions: Croxden

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I’m sorry for my late reply - I’ve been too busy riding my bike! I chose red and I’m looking forward to reading your 1000 mile review.
It's being written but this weather slows my brain down.