Riese and Müller Homage GT Vario - third impressions.

StrawHatMan

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 22, 2020
It’s now about two and a half months since I took delivery of my R&M Homage GT Vario on which I have ridden about 430, sometimes challenging, miles in my part of the North York Moors National Park. Although it is too soon to provide a formal review, which will be after 1000 miles, I do feel I have something useful to say to those who may be considering a similar bike or, more generally, any electric bike. This “third impressions” article is meant to complement my previous “first impressions“ and “second impressions “ articles.

Firstly, something about me to place my choice of bike into context. I’m 70 years old and was about to hang up my bike clips following a return ride on my old bone shaker from Scarborough to Ravenscar along the old railway track, known locally as the Cinder Track. I decided to buy an ebike and chose the Homage GT Vario because it has the Bosch drive system, full suspension and it has a step through frame with a sedate riding position. The “GT” refers to the knobbly tyres and “Vario” is the Enviolo variable gear with belt drive. As you can imagine, I only use the bike for leisure riding and I avoid poor weather conditions so this article would be less helpful for those who might be thinking of a bike for commuting. My requirements for an ebike included ride comfort under the challenging conditions of bumpy tracks we have in this part of Yorkshire, sufficient power and range to cope with our steep and frequent hills, a step through frame and, most importantly, reliability. My focus in this post will be on the rides I have been on and the ability of the bike to cope.

Previously, I have described my journeys along the Cinder Track from Scarborough to Whitby via Robin Hoods Bay. The bike performed flawlessly and had plenty of battery energy left after more than 40 miles, so I set myself (and the bike) some progressively more difficult challenges to see how both the bike and I responded to these challenges. My first challenge was a ride from Burniston to the Hole of Horcum following for part of the ride a North York Moors National Park Moor to Sea Route 4 - Highwood Brow to Ravenscar. Readers who wish to do so can follow the route using various map apps - I’m using Google Maps supplemented by Ordinance Survey’s ViewRanger app when appropriate.

Leaving Burniston along Limestone Road there is a long ascent that gets progressively steeper towards the end as the road undergoes a name change to Cumboots Brow. It is very steep near the summit and this, before the ebike, was a physical barrier that I was unable to pass. Some years ago, I completed a bike trip along the Outer Hebrides using this ascent as part of my preparatory training. Even on a Dawes touring bike with 27 gears I was unable to get up this hill. Now, I find that I’m able to engage Turbo and cycle up easily. That is the power of an ebike and the magic is that a whole new countryside has now been opened up.

2DD0080D-3A3B-4823-81BD-10399A90DFFF.jpeg

Turning right at the top takes us to Reasty Bank - an excellent viewpoint looking out towards the coast and Ravenscar. I now followed the Forestry Commission track through Broxa Forest. This track is quite bumpy in places and has many potholes that can fill with water after heavy rain - care needed. The hamlet of Broxa is quiet and remote, being only accessible by a steep and narrow road. Now for the descent. Very steep and slippery in places requiring use of the brakes to avoid running away.

0B48FCEC-5061-46C5-89A0-0AA3C3E661BB.jpeg

At the end of Broxa Hill Road turn left and then right along Estell Lane towards Troutsdale. Narrow roads with occasional passing places and a vast scattering of ancient monuments, tumuli and earthworks dating back to the Bronze Age that attest to the timelessness of this valley. But on this occasion we are turning left to go up the steep side of the glacial valley following Moor Road to the viewing point at Highwood Brow. Have a rest, look at the view and consider the privilege of having an ebike that makes this possible for a 70 year old man. The route towards the Hole of Horcum is now fairly level and follows an ancient pathway that has been adopted by today’s walkers and cyclists and renamed as The Tabular Hills Walk. We cross Bronze Age dykes and skirt ancient tumuli as we look down upon the vastness of recently departed Troutsdale and the North Yorks Moors beyond.

43F3270D-50CB-4D6C-A3A6-B0838DB34B2A.jpeg

We join the Dalby Forest Drive for a while before turning left to follow New Road, reaching another viewpoint at Crosscliff Wood, adjacent to Dargate Dikes. Admire the view towards Blakey Topping whilst also looking skywards for a sight of the Buzzards that can be seen soaring above these woods and valleys. We return to the Tabular Hills walk towards Newgate eventually joining the mysteriously named Old Wife’s Way which leads to the car park on the A169 at the Hole of Horcum. There are legends to be found here but I’ll leave the reader to research the internet for themselves. Cross the busy road and have a picnic on the grassy bank overlooking the Hole of Horcum - perfect on a sunny day.

9D96CDE2-0237-4CB9-B6DA-83FB820484E5.jpeg

That’s the halfway point with many alternatives for the return journey. My return would take me back along the Old Wife’s Way and the Tabular Hills walk and the ascent of Broxa Hill. The total distance travelled is 57.4 km (35.98 miles in old money) with a total ascent of 699m. I took my time, taking a little over 5 hours with time to stop, admire the view and, of course, replenish energy and water levels. The bike coped remarkably well, as did I. The 500 Whr battery was sufficient for this journey and still had one bar out of five for the remaining energy on my return. I used Eco mode whenever I could but selected Tour for extra assistance - especially when I felt tired. Turbo was reserved for the steepest ascents before reverting to either Eco or Tour. For me, the bike fulfilled everything that I hoped for in an electric bike. It was comfortable after a day’s ride over challenging terrain. It coped with difficulty ascents and descents, with the Enviolo infinitely variable hub gear and belt drive never missing a beat. The battery and motor exceeded my expectations, as did I. Most importantly, the brakes controlled many steep and slippery descents without mishaps. I’ve come to the view that good brakes are as essential as a good battery and motor system. I hope that this post has been useful to any readers who have got this far and may be considering either a Riese and Muller Homage or something similar. Undoubtably the bike wouldn’t be right for everyone, but it is right for me. I’ve added a summary of the ride and the Elevation graph from the ViewRanger app, which readers may find interesting. As alway, I’m perfectly happy to answer any questions.

48865A62-46F0-40C2-80B5-B846AE77EA64.png

5EA4126F-056E-4868-A6FD-D2B807DFE7E7.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Twinkleten