Riese and Muller Homage GT Vario - first impressions

StrawHatMan

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 22, 2020

A view towards Robin Hoods Bay from Ravenscar on the North Yorkshire Coast.

I took delivery of this bike yesterday and thought it would be a good idea to share my first impressions to enable anyone thinking of purchasing a similar bike to make a more informed decision. This is my first foray into e-biking, so I’m unable to compare my bike with any other makes, models or specifications. My intention is to update this article as I use the bike more so that eventually I’ll be able to give a fairly informed long term appraisal.

Firstly, something about me and the reasons for choosing this particular bike. I live adjacent to the old Scarborough to Whitby railway line which is part of the National Cycle Network Route 1 and is locally known as the Cinder Track. The route takes us through some beautiful scenery with views over Robin Hoods Bay and the Yorkshire Coast. I rode the Cinder Track a couple of months ago on my old “bone shaker “ and certainly felt the worse for wear. Those who know the Cinder Track will recall just how bumpy it is in places. At the age of 70, it was a case of hanging up my bike clips or getting a better bike.

I decided on the R&M Homage because it has a step through frame and full suspension. The GT version has bigger tyres and pedals that I thought would cope with the Cinder Track better than the standard tyres and the Vario option describes the sealed infinitely variable gears. For me on the Cinder Track with all the dust flying around my thoughts were that a maintenance free sealed unit with a Gates belt drive was preferable to the standard derailleur gears. At this point, various Esteemed Pedelecs will no doubt express a view about the advantages of a Rollhoff hub gear over the Enviolo that I specified. Fair enough, but my decision was based upon my needs at the age of 70 and I certainly couldn’t justify the additional £1000+ cost of the Rollhoff. Each unto his own.

I also opted for the standard 500 Wh rather than the twin battery 1000 Wh version. Again, I couldn’t justify the additional cost and hoped that the 500 Wh battery would suit my needs. Also, in my view, the aesthetics of the bike would be spoiled by the addition of the second battery. Finally, the step through feature that I wanted could be compromised by the reduced clearance resulting from the additional battery. Form follows function.

The bike arrived yesterday and I had a thorough introduction to the controls and use at handover. This was the first time that I had even seen a Riese and Müller bike because I ordered the Homage unseen during the Covid 19 pandemic. The best advice is always to try different makes and models before purchasing but on this occasion I decided to take the risk. I felt that I already knew the bike somewhat as I had viewed a comprehensive review by Citrus Cycles at Ladysmith on Vancouver Island in Canada. The review lasted over one and a half hours and included an impressive ride through woodland tracks which included mud, gravel, tree stumps, rocks and very steep hills. The main review was of a bike with the Enviolo hub, but a later night time section used the Rollhoff. I was fairly sure from this review that the Enviolo hub used with the Vario option was suitable for my needs.

My first impressions of the bike were very positive. The bright red frame held bold lines and were complemented by the black suspension. The Bosch CX motor was, to my mind, in the right place - exactly where it is needed to provide drive support for the rider. The build quality was excellent. I had read on this forum about ‘bird poo’ welding on R&M bikes, but there was nothing like this. As a former aircraft engineer I can recognise good and bad welding. In my view, the quality of welding on the Homage is exceptional and was complemented by the equally impressive paintwork.

I took the bike out for its first trip yesterday afternoon. The battery charge indicator showed three out of a possible five bars - approximately 60% charge. I went along the Cinder Track heading south towards Scarborough with the aim of reaching Scarborough Harbour - a return trip of about 14 miles. A gentle ascent along loose gravel with a bumpy/rocky undersurface followed by some tarmac roads and including some very steep hills. A good initial test for an unknown bike and its 70 year old rider! It was a beautiful afternoon and the bike performed perfectly. The Enviolo gear change allowed easy peddling (Sport mode selected) on even the steepest hills although it may take me a little time to get used to the counter intuitive infinitely variable gear selector. A feature of Scarborough’s Marine Drive is the cobbled section that leads to so many spectacular crashes during the final sprint of the Tour de Yorkshire. The full suspension of the Homage coped with all of my initial tests. There is a section of concrete surfacing that has been covered with a thick layer of soft wind blown sand that needed to be navigated with great care. Apart from this, the tyres coped well with the dry and loose surfaces of the Cinder Track. All in all, a very positive first outing with the battery showing two bars out of five on return.

Today I decided to take the bike on a rather more ambitious journey heading north along the Cinder Track to Ravenscar, about 10 miles away with beautiful views over Robin Hoods Bay. There is a long, continuous ascent to Ravenscar following the surprisingly steep gradient of the old railway line. Again, as the name suggests, the surface is largely loose cinders and gravel traversed in places by large root systems and presenting rocky and eroded sections that can take cyclists unawares. Care is needed. The battery was fully charged the day before and showed a range of 60 miles on the display. The ascent to Ravenscar took 45 mins - a full fifteen minutes less than I had ever done before. This was in good conditions but directly into a strong Northerly - something we’re noted for on the Yorkshire Coast. The bike was in Eco mode for the entire journey and behaved perfectly throughout. On my old ‘bone shaker’ I felt it was necessary to avoid the worst bumps, tree roots and rocks but on the Homage I found that the bike’s suspension coped remarkably well. At the summit, the battery still showed 5 bars on the display but the range had now reduced to 30 miles. The return trip was performed almost without any peddling and was often at over the 15 mph supported speed of the bike. On return, the range indicator showed 73 miles and the battery indicator still showed five bars. As they say - go figure!

So, in summary, my first impressions of the R&M Homage GT Vario after it’s first two outings. Excellent build quality, as one should expect at this price. The bike’s performance, so far, has matched my expectations so all is good there. However, these are early days in my relationship with my bike and much more needs to be learned before a final assessment can be made. The next test will be to take the bike to Robin Hoods Bay to see how it copes with the very steep hill and also to see how the battery copes with the round trip. Range anxiety anyone?

My final point is regarding one of my fundamental requirements of an e-bike. It must be reliable. I don’t want the experience of pushing a heavy bike back home along 20 miles of railway track. Early days, but eventually I would expect to be in a position to express an informed opinion about the bike’s reliability. I hope you find my initial thoughts about my bike are useful and interesting. I plan to add to this thread as more knowledge is gained. I’m happy to answer any questions if you have them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ocsid and sjpt

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Very good comprehensive first review, informative for those considering a future purchase. Know the area quite well and it seems you have made a good choice suspension wise. Enjoy many more rides and review again say 1000km with regards to reliability.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Glad you enjoyed the bike; I hope you continue to for years to come.

You learned very quickly that the range indicator on the Bosch is totally stupid. It bases it's predictions on a very short history on a mile or two's riding. More useful for entertainment about how silly it is than for information about expected range. They could so easily have had a much more precise battery indicator which would have been really useful.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
View attachment 35684

A view towards Robin Hoods Bay from Ravenscar on the North Yorkshire Coast.

I took delivery of this bike yesterday and thought it would be a good idea to share my first impressions to enable anyone thinking of purchasing a similar bike to make a more informed decision. This is my first foray into e-biking, so I’m unable to compare my bike with any other makes, models or specifications. My intention is to update this article as I use the bike more so that eventually I’ll be able to give a fairly informed long term appraisal.

Firstly, something about me and the reasons for choosing this particular bike. I live adjacent to the old Scarborough to Whitby railway line which is part of the National Cycle Network Route 1 and is locally known as the Cinder Track. The route takes us through some beautiful scenery with views over Robin Hoods Bay and the Yorkshire Coast. I rode the Cinder Track a couple of months ago on my old “bone shaker “ and certainly felt the worse for wear. Those who know the Cinder Track will recall just how bumpy it is in places. At the age of 70, it was a case of hanging up my bike clips or getting a better bike.

I decided on the R&M Homage because it has a step through frame and full suspension. The GT version has bigger tyres and peddles that I thought would cope with the Cinder Track better than the standard tyres and the Vario option describes the sealed infinitely variable gears. For me on the Cinder Track with all the dust flying around my thoughts were that a maintenance free sealed unit with a Gates belt drive was preferable to the standard derailleur gears. At this point, various Esteemed Pedelecs will no doubt express a view about the advantages of a Rollhoff hub gear over the Enviolo that I specified. Fair enough, but my decision was based upon my needs at the age of 70 and I certainly couldn’t justify the additional £1000+ cost of the Rollhoff. Each unto his own.

I also opted for the standard 500 Wh rather than the twin battery 1000 Wh version. Again, I couldn’t justify the additional cost and hoped that the 500 Wh battery would suit my needs. Also, in my view, the aesthetics of the bike would be spoiled by the addition of the second battery. Finally, the step through feature that I wanted could be compromised by the reduced clearance resulting from the additional battery. Form follows function.

The bike arrived yesterday and I had a thorough introduction to the controls and use at handover. This was the first time that I had even seen a Riese and Müller bike because I ordered the Homage unseen during the Covid 19 pandemic. The best advice is always to try different makes and models before purchasing but on this occasion I decided to take the risk. I felt that I already knew the bike somewhat as I had viewed a comprehensive review by Citrus Cycles at Ladysmith on Vancouver Island in Canada. The review lasted over one and a half hours and included an impressive ride through woodland tracks which included mud, gravel tree stumps rocks and very steep hills. The main review was of a bike with the Enviolo hub, but a later night time section used the Rollhoff. I was fairly sure from this review that the Enviolo hub used with the Vario option was suitable for my needs.

My first impressions of the bike were very positive. The bright red frame held bold lines and were complemented by the black suspension. The Bosch CX motor was, to my mind, in the right place - exactly where it is needed to provide drive support for the rider. The build quality was excellent. I had read on this forum about ‘bird poo’ welding on R&M bikes, but there was nothing like this. As a former aircraft engineer I can recognise good and bad welding. In my view, the quality of welding on the Homage is exceptional and was complemented by the equally impressive paintwork.

I took the bike out for its first trip yesterday afternoon. The battery charge indicator showed three out of a possible five bars - approximately 60% charge. I went along the Cinder Track heading south towards Scarborough with the aim of reaching Scarborough Harbour - a return trip of about 14 miles. A gentle ascent along loose gravel with a bumpy/rocky undersurface followed by some tarmac roads and including some very steep hills. A good initial test for an unknown bike and its 70 year old rider! It was a beautiful afternoon and the bike performed perfectly. The Enviolo gear change allowed easy peddling (Sport mode selected) on even the steepest hills although it may take me a little time to get used to the counter intuitive infinitely variable gear selector. A feature of Scarborough’s Marine Drive is the cobbled section that leads to so many spectacular crashes during the final sprint of the Tour de Yorkshire. The full suspension of the Homage coped with all of my initial tests. There is a section of concrete surfacing that has been covered with a thick layer of soft wind blown sand that needed to be navigated with great care. Apart from this, the tyres coped well with the dry and loose surfaces of the Cinder Track. All in all, a very positive first outing with the battery showing two bars out of five on return.

Today I decided to take the bike on a rather more ambitious journey heading north along the Cinder Track to Ravenscar, about 10 miles away with beautiful views over Robin Hoods Bay. There is a long, continuous ascent to Ravenscar following the surprisingly steep gradient of the old railway line. Again, as the name suggests, the surface is largely loose cinders and gravel traversed in places by large root systems and presenting rocky and eroded sections that can take cyclists unawares. Care is needed. The battery was fully charged the day before and showed a range of 60 miles on the display. The ascent to Ravenscar took 45 mins - a full fifteen minutes less than I had ever done before. This was in good conditions but directly into a strong Northerly - something we’re noted for on the Yorkshire Coast. The bike was in Eco mode for the entire journey and behaved perfectly throughout. On my old ‘bone shaker’ I felt it was necessary to avoid the worst bumps, tree roots and rocks but on the Homage I found that the bike’s suspension coped remarkably well. At the summit, the battery still showed 5 bars on the display but the range had now reduced to 30 miles. The return trip was performed almost without any peddling and was often at over the 15 mph supported speed of the bike. On return, the range indicator showed 73 miles and the battery indicator still showed five bars. As they say - go figure!

So, in summary, my first impressions of the R&M Homage GT Vario after it’s first two outings. Excellent build quality, as one should expect at this price. The bikes performance, so far, has matched my expectations so all is good there. However, these are early days in my relationship with my bike and much more needs to be learned before a final assessment can be made. The next test will be to take the bike to Robin Hoods Bay to see how it copes with the very steep hill and also to see how the battery copes with the round trip. Range anxiety anyone?

My final point is regarding one of my fundamental requirements of an e-bike. It must be reliable. I don’t want the experience of pushing a heavy bike back home along 20 miles of railway track. Early days, but eventually I would expect to be in a position to express an informed opinion about the bike’s reliability. I hope you find my initial thoughts about my bike are useful and interesting. I plan to add to this thread as more knowledge is gained. I’m happy to answer any questions if you have them.
Itv certainly looks a swish bike.
just a few questions if I may.
Is the bike heavy?
Is the new cx motor noisy?
With the motor switched off, is there drag when peddling?

with regard to range indicators I have a Yamaha motor on my bike with their range predictions. These predictions have no accuracy to the actual calculated ranges. I log every cycle ride, when home I’ll write the ride, conditions, temperature, ave speed, trip speed and battery used (to name a few), I can then calculate what suspected milage per battery would have been expected (though that is less as you get into the very low charge zone) it builds a picture in my mind the milage capabilities. This has come into its own on a few long rides where I’m wondering if I’ll get back and what I need to do to keep charge.
This log sounds OTT but also builds a picture of battery charges for future reference.
Thanks

Last edited:

StrawHatMan

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 22, 2020

On the beach at Robin Hoods Bay looking towards Ravenscar

Today, as I suggested yesterday, I rode the bike to Robin Hoods Bay with the intention of getting back up the very steep hill. Those who know the area will know just how steep it is, but I couldn’t guess the gradient.

Before I report about today’s trip, I have a few things to say about the Homage that I omitted yesterday. The first is that it is a surprisingly large bike. I’m 6’ 3” tall (1.9m in new money) and the bike is R&M’s 58cm frame which is suitable for body height 1.80 - 2.00 m (5’ 10” to 6’ 7”). I have a high and upright riding position, which is one of the benefits of a step through bike. It took me a little while to get used to stepping through the frame - I kept putting my leg over the saddle as I had with previous bikes. Of course, the downside of this upright position is that drag is greater than the more conventional position used for compact diamond frame bikes. I’m not worried about a bit of extra drag - I’ve got a battery!

Now back to the trip to Robin Hoods Bay. The first stage to Ravenscar was a repeat of yesterday so I will not add to that. The weather was warm, clear and sunny with a moderate eastern wind blowing off the sea. I stopped at Ravenscar to take stock of the battery, which still showed five bars. I had used Eco mode for the gentle ascent to here and decided to continue to Robin Hoods Bay - downhill all the way but, of course, I needed to conserve enough battery energy for the return journey.

Bobajob, one of this forum’s Pedelecers, had asked about noise levels from the Bosch CX motor and about my ability to pedal the bike with the power assist switched off. I had tried switching off during the ascent to Ravenscar and found that I could only sustain sufficient speed for a short while. This was on the soft surfaces of the Cinder Track with a slight ascent so, given the weight of the bike (about 26kg) it was not a surprise that I found unassisted pedalling hard work. Downhill from Ravenscar was a different story - I turned the motor off and virtually freewheeled all the way. There were times where there was a slight incline which I managed but in a few places where there were steeper sections, I switched back to Eco or Tour modes. Bobajob also asked about noise levels from the CX motor. In Eco mode there is a barely detectable hum which is almost overwhelmed by the crunch of the knobbly tyres on the Cinder Track surfaces. In higher power modes the motor gives a reassuring “whir” which I didn’t find intrusive.

I arrived at Robin Hoods Bay in reasonable shape given the challenging surfaces encountered. It’s ten years since I last went this far on my old bone shaker because the poor track acted as a disincentive. In places it is severely rutted with scattered bricks and rocks protruding and in others there are deep potholes. The full suspension of the Homage coped very well. The only incident was a bit of fishtailing when I entered a long, steep sided rut with very loose and deep gravel undersurface. I need to pay more attention. The battery at the top of the hill still showed five bars so I decided continue down to the beach. Very steep descent with the bike fully under the control of the hydraulic brakes. No problems. A short stop on the beach (see phot) before trying the ascent. I selected Sport mode and the lowest gear ratio the Enviolo hub could offer. I didn’t make it to the top as I ran out of oomph with about 100 m to go. A nearby bench provided an opportunity for a lunch stop before I continued to the top. I pushed the remaining 100m as I didn’t think I had it in me to reach the top by pedalling. In retrospect my mistake was to select Sport mode which assists proportional to my torque input. Of course, tired legs, less torque, less assist followed by stopping. I think the bike would reach the top but my 70 year old and tired legs couldn’t meet the challenge. Next time I will select Turbo mode.

The return to Ravenscar was carried out mainly in Tour mode which gave extra assistance to tired legs. I certainly appreciated this extra energy! I reached Ravenscar with five bars still showing, which I find amazing. The rest of the journey south towards Scarborough was again carried out mostly with power switched off, apart from some gentle ascents where Eco was used. The battery indicator showed four bars after 35 miles, so I'm fairly sure that my 500 Wh battery option was the right choice for me.

My next expedition will be a trip to Whitby and back. If I can do that on my 500 Wh battery I will be delighted. I’ve lived adjacent to the Cinder Track for 30 years and I’ve never been able to complete a return journey to Whitby on my old bone shaker, so that next trip will be a major milestone for this Rookie Pedelecer.