Riese & Muller Homage review (warts and all)

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
The spec for this can be viewed at https://www.r-m.de/en-gb/bikes/homage/ although that's the 2021 (by now 2022?) version, mine is 2020.

I got my bike from 'Bicycles by design' in Telford (OK, really in Coalport), since they had a demonstrator in stock, were willing to sell me it, and to sell my Tern folder for me by way of a PX deal. It's going back for it's first annual (free) service shortly so watch this space.

The one I got (which was not exactly the one I wanted) has the the Vario gearing, and came with Bosch ABS, which I would never have specified, but which actually works very well. OK 'something else to potentially go wrong', but you could say that as soon as you add a motor. You can't lock the front wheel - not possible, even on gravel (of which we have lots).

Additions- new pedals (those supplied appeared polished and greased, as far as keeping my feet on them), a mirror (don't leave home without one), a carrier/pannier set (the rack is already there) a bell (apparently not standard issue in Germany) and a saddle swap to a sprung Brooks B67, although the standard isn't bad. Also Tannus inserts for both wheels .. taking the rear off is going to be "no fun".

Major pluses for your near £5k (OK, it's German, it's over-over engineered) - it comes with a folding ABUS lock, same key as the battery, it has brake lights, and pretty effective headlights, full suspension, step thru frame, hydraulic disc brakes, and a Bosch CX motor which delivers rather more torque than the model used on my Tern folder. The vario gears work pretty well, once you get used to them, allowing gear changes both stationary and (with slightly more wrist action required) under power. Oh yes, it has a belt drive, sort of large plus as far as I am concerned (but probably EXTRA no fun taking the rear wheel off).

What warts has it got .. well the kickstand rattles over bumps, a well know issue, with a 'screw a rubber bumpstop in' fix out out the web. It is ludicrously heavy (30 Kg). The CX motor sounds like a coffee grinder under extreme use (and is not exactly silent anyway), and mine came set up for 'eMTB' mode instead of sport, which gives (unpredictable) torque related boost levels. Hopefully first service will fix it. The (standard) mudguards are both too short, resulting in mud striped up the motor and your back, so a rubber addition was bodged up and screwed on to both - works fine now.

Range is between 50 and 60km on a full charge (sorry, I've gone metric) which always includes at least 1000 ft (see, not entirely!) of up and down, since I live on a hill. The larger wheels (compared to the Tern) give a much nicer ride especially over potholes, but the standard (road) tyres will still lurch sideways off damp cobbles or large gravel. Unlike the Tern there is a steering stop, so you can't wind the brake hoses and electrics up through 720 degrees. Oh, and larger wheels give more Gyro effect, so steering is a lot less twitchy.

Gearing permits the steepest hills round here, but only in turbo mode, and at the other extreme you can cruise at 25 or 30 kph with the motor 'off' but only on the flat, or downwind - the weight drags you going up even gentle hills. Downhill - the limit is how well you think you bounce and how far you can see .. about 51 kph for me (call it 32mph, if you don't grok metric).

Overall - I'd give it 4.5+ out of 5, as long as you grit your teeth about a) the cost and b) the weight (not something you can throw in and out of car with gay abandon). It does have a quick release front wheel, and if you remove the battery and folding lock, you are just into the realms of the manageable (for old fogies). You need somewhere safe to park/lock it .. its half life chained to a lamp post in Brum would be measured in minutes I fear.

I know the Bosch haters won't approve, but I like it. If I win the lottery I'll get the 14 speed Rohlhoff model with dual batteries (and a truck to move it around in). It is no fun to tinker with, you need a computer and a PHD (and inside access to Bosch), but 'you just gets on and rides it' works for me.

Macs32

Just Joined
Oct 5, 2021
Hi GSV3Miac
So fortunate to have come across this post after just finding this site.
I am considering buying an R&M bike and it's great to have read your review of the Homage. I am hoping to get one this year, and hoping to replace my car journeys 80% of the time.

Now I did want to ask something related more broadly to your post which I hope you can give your opinion on. I work and live in Brum and this is the one major issue I have with buying and commuting with an expensive ebike which is safety from theft.

I would like to be able to lock the bike thoroughly (using the best/heaviest locks in the best of locking ways) however I get the feeling still that in Brum, it would be as you say a matter of minutes.

Would you be able to give your opinion on this?
Is it not worth getting something like an R&M ebike even if you plan on locking it in the safest manner outside of buildings (high grade bike racks, lamp posts etc) in the heart of England? :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you leave that outside it will get nicked esp if you leave it in the same place every day.

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
Yes, in city you need to take it indoors. I suspect your insurers would insist. If they didn't nick the whole thing you'd lose wheel, saddle, etc etc, unless you have guard on duty, or gates / doors / electric fence between you and the wrong 'uns.

Bosch dealer might know where it went, if it was ever plugged in for service, but probably too late, if they even cared.

Macs32

Just Joined
Oct 5, 2021
Thanks guys that’s really good to know. As you can tell I am a newb and haven’t actually rode a bicycle for 20 years.

Thanks again for the review and answers.

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
Update.. the friendly LBS did the service, which cost me new front pads, and that was all. See I said it was hilly! Also put the 3rd assist setting back to 'sport', which is a definite improvement, and cheated on the stand rattle by fitting a rubber o ring. Works for now -(but they gave me a spare). I did get ticked off for low tyre pressures, which the fitted puncture protection tends to disguise. (allegedly you can ride on flats, but i don't think I want to try).

Worst part of the day, hauling the bike (less front wheel) into and out of the back of the car, without wrecking either.

• Informative
Reactions: Ocsid

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
And finally ..

While they were servicing my bike (2 hours-ish) I got a test ride on the 2021 model Rohlhoff equivalent (£7k + change) which might be worth a quick addendum.

Same: the stand still rattles (same fix applies), the pedals are still the most godawful ones I ever came across as far as friction with footwear. Tyres appear the same or similar - good on road, middling scary on unsurfaced track (I took it along the cycleway, old railway line, towards Bridgnorth). Lights, rack, etc. all very similar if not identical. Still weighs a ton (ok, .03 of a ton). Same old Purion display/control on the base model (Base? £7k??). Same old belt drive.

Different: this is a 49cm (?) small frame, which is a bit small for me, and it had 'comfort bars' which bend back far enough to crunch me up even more, so not ideal.

The battery has been moved under the frame instead of on top - no idea why, but it makes getting it in/out much more problematic IMO (and it is now in the firing line for road spray).

This Rohlhoff model does not have an ABS option, presumably because it doesn't play nicely with the electric gear shift (which cuts power when you change gear .. a little disconcerting at first). Or maybe there just isn't room on the bars for all of it?!

Gearchange is up/down buttons, which are a bit small to operate with heavy gloves, but then so are the Purion control buttons. Can be done, with practice. 14 gears is massive overkill for an e-bike .. the range is nice (from vertical wall climbing* with kHz cadence at one end, up to 'speed limit at a lope' in top gear) but you don't need but half or a third of the cogs in between. Sadly most of the 5 or 7 speed hub gears don't have the same range (derailleurs nearly do .. certainly can if you swap cogs). I believe it changes down when you stop (ready for the off) and probably has an option to autoshift if it thinks you are loafing, but I didn't explore all the options. It's electronic shift, so yes, another thing which could go wrngo.

(* subject to traction!)

I liked it, but not enough more than the Vario to justify a trade-up in the foreseeable future, not without a very BIG lottery win.