Riese & Muller Supercharger “surging”

Lee1st

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 26, 2018
Hi All, The Riese & Muller Supercharger is a bike that I’m considering, however, I’ve recently seen a review where the owner felt that the bike surged fairly significantly with each pedal stroke. Strangely, the same reviewer felt that at any assist mode the bike didn’t really give him the assist that he was hoping for. These two things seem a little contradictory to me, but I have very little experience with bikes to date so don’t feel in a position to evaluate his comments. Any other reviews of the bike I’ve seen don’t mention this problem so I wondered whether the review bike in question was likely to have a unique flaw. What do other riders of R&M think?
Thanks
Lee

D

Deleted member 128

Hi All, The Riese & Muller Supercharger is a bike that I’m considering, however, I’ve recently seen a review where the owner felt that the bike surged fairly significantly with each pedal stroke. Strangely, the same reviewer felt that at any assist mode the bike didn’t really give him the assist that he was hoping for. These two things seem a little contradictory to me, but I have very little experience with bikes to date so don’t feel in a position to evaluate his comments. Any other reviews of the bike I’ve seen don’t mention this problem so I wondered whether the review bike in question was likely to have a unique flaw. What do other riders of R&M think?
Thanks
Lee
I have a Supercharger and don't recognise the problems described.
The bike uses a standard Bosch motor and electronics and I'm not aware of these problems on other Bosch bikes either. Had the reviewer any experience with other Bosch equipped bikes, torque sensing controllers, such as those used by Bosch, might exhibit mild symptoms of the issues described but I wouldn't describe them as problems in any way?

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Thanks
Lee
Please post the link to the review

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Maybe it is somewhat related to described startup behaviour; both would relate to the motor power and the torque sensor sensitivity.
https://www.bosch-ebike.com/us/products/drive-units/
That varies from Gentle (Active Line) to Dynamic/Sporty/Very Sporty (various Performance Lines)

Dan R&M

Jan 27, 2019
Worcester, UK
www.r-m.de
Hi Lee, putting my credentials out 1st I work for Riese & Müller but rather than just answer this in words I would rather let the bikes speak for themselves, I have a Supercharger with the E14 Rohloff hub you are welcome to try or drop me message telling me your location and I will do my best to arrange a trail with your local dealer to show that the Bosch motor is extremely smooth on both the standard and speed pedelec (registration required). Regards Dan

Reactions: Gubbins

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Lee, putting my credentials out 1st I work for Riese & Müller but rather than just answer this in words I would rather let the bikes speak for themselves, I have a Supercharger with the E14 Rohloff hub you are welcome to try or drop me message telling me your location and I will do my best to arrange a trail with your local dealer to show that the Bosch motor is extremely smooth on both the standard and speed pedelec (registration required). Regards Dan
You wont be dissapointed. I am on my 5th e-bike and my RM Supercharger is by far the best of the 5.

arnieboy2

Just Joined
Mar 15, 2019
hi all i have a supercharger with the two batteries and since reading this article i too have had this surging type problem. i had no issues with my last e bike which was a kalkoff with same bosch motor and never ever experianced this type of surging so maybe r&m need to have a look into this ps 1st time on a forum

Dan R&M

Jan 27, 2019
Worcester, UK
www.r-m.de
hi all i have a supercharger with the two batteries and since reading this article i too have had this surging type problem. i had no issues with my last e bike which was a kalkoff with same bosch motor and never ever experianced this type of surging so maybe r&m need to have a look into this ps 1st time on a forum
Hi Arnie, Have you been into your Bosch dealer and had them plug the bike into the diagnostic software? This would be the 1st step, they can send the full report to us/Bosch and it will give the full historic details, could be a simple magnet position issue (the one on the back wheel, if not aligned correctly it can cause 'surging' issues), the software will also tell us what hub gears you are running on the bike and cadence, torque, etc.

arnieboy2

Just Joined
Mar 15, 2019
hi dan no i havent been to my dealer as iys a 4 hour drive to them?? but i now have a local dealer but wasnt sure if i could take it to then as i didnt buy it there ?? but if i can arrange this i will do it thanks A