Risk of getting your bike stolen in London?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
As a Student I typically had a bike stolen every year.. well thats not exactly correct.. for 3.5 years I was the proud or not so proud rider of a Raleigh RSW16 .. yes an incredible imposition on an impressionable 18 year old . It lasted 3.5 years until some even more desperate idiot stole it. After that it one per year.

When I had my own office on a ground floor, from 2008 ,and an Electric Bike ,I would bring it in and prop it up there. I had sufficient seniority that even the caretakers allowed it. Now I use the electric bike in the following fashion. If going to a shop irregularly .. like an impulse purchase or the milk etc , I will always use the built in lock and remove tge display module. .. The bike cannot run electrically without it. If going to a location more regularly, ..or for a longer period , say a haircut , in addition ,I will use the heavy duty chain .
However I am under no illusion that a battery powered . Diamond blade angle grinder will make short work of any lock. I had occasion to use such a tool on a broken garden gate padlock .. It might have taken 10 seconds, of which ,6 was getting the disc oriented!.

DBrown67

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2017
Leeds
I will say that in my time at Leeds uni I've parked my bike all over the campus. It's very rare to see a gold secure lock. Many use D-locks but cheap ones. And just as many use crappy cable locks. But to be fair the bikes aren't decent quality either (vast majority).

Where I usually park my bike there's a manned security gate about 25 yards away (during the day) with plenty of people walking about all day. Truth be told most cyclists just don't think much about theft. Yes, they lock their bikes... but barely.

Best thing is to just be insured for peace of mind. I just got a quote today of £80 for contents insurance to include bikes away from home up to £1000 (£50 excess). It's enough for me and takes the worry out of it. If it happens it happens. If someone really wants it they'll get it. So far someone can't have really wanted my batteryless ebike that much.

Reactions: flecc

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
i don't need it for carrying on other forms of transport but this is why I am considering an E- folder for the possible extra security if I can take it inside at my place of work. I already had a conventional Brompton in the past, but it was less practical if you are carrying more stuff on a pannier (I eventually got a pannier which attached to the seat post but if I recall , that inhibited the folding) and of course it all adds weight, which is increased further by the battery in an e bike folder.