Riverside 500 motor issue

Chardo34

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 2, 2022
Hello all, newbie here. Joined after googling what to do about my Riverside 500 that feels like it is applying the brake at around 15 mph having never done so before. It also seems to kick in with far less power than previously.

The chain was jumping yesterday so needs an oil but I assume that wouldn’t affect the motor?

Its only eighteen months old but I bought it off eBay nine months ago so don’t have the warranty. Not sure if Decathlon can tell whether it’s still in warranty without one.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Are you sure that isn't normal, 15mph is the assistance limit. Maybe you bought it unrestricted and somehow it has resetted to normal behaviour. I don't think the warranty is transferable. It's definitely the actual Riverside 500e ebike model rather than a Riverside 500 which is a normal bike which may have had a kit fitted to it?

This is a Riverside 500E

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A jumping chain is likely due to it being worn and stretched or the gear stop adjustment isn't correct, but suspect the former.
Pin to pin on the chain check the length with a ruler/tape, 12 links should measure 12" exactly on a new chain and no more then 12 & 1/16th inch. Any moe then the chain is beyond economical use, for metric buffs 10 links pin to pin should measure 254mm - 256mm max or 15 links 381mm - 383mm.

Chardo34

Jun 2, 2022
A jumping chain is likely due to it being worn and stretched or the gear stop adjustment isn't correct, but suspect the former.
Pin to pin on the chain check the length with a ruler/tape, 12 links should measure 12" exactly on a new chain and no more then 12 & 1/16th inch. Any moe then the chain is beyond economical use, for metric buffs 10 links pin to pin should measure 254mm - 256mm max or 15 links 381mm - 383mm.
Thanks

Chardo34

Jun 2, 2022
Are you sure that isn't normal, 15mph is the assistance limit. Maybe you bought it unrestricted and somehow it has resetted to normal behaviour. I don't think the warranty is transferable. It's definitely the actual Riverside 500e ebike model rather than a Riverside 500 which is a normal bike which may have had a kit fitted to it?

This is a Riverside 500E

Yes, it’s a 500E. I get that the assist has a limit but this feels like the brakes are being applied which surely isn’t right?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some controllers are poor when it comes to the cutoff speed limit, they can vary from abruptness (brakes on affect) or a gradual decrease in current as the cut off is approached. The brake affect isn't a brake at all but just the fact current is no longer being applied to the motor and one is just left pedalling a heavier unpowered motor.

For instance my Bafang G370 hub runs unpowered nearly as good as it does powered, the Kt controller gives an almost seemless transition to unpowered riding when the cut off is reached and ramps down the power damn well.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Yes, it’s a 500E. I get that the assist has a limit but this feels like the brakes are being applied which surely isn’t right?
How much has it changed since you bought it, was it originally seamless and now abrupt. Have you updated the firmware or done anything to it electrically?

Chardo34

Jun 2, 2022
How much has it changed since you bought it, was it originally seamless and now abrupt. Have you updated the firmware or done anything to it electrically?
Rode today and noticed it happens at 15.4km so motor suddenly stopping assistance sounds right. It was seemless before and now it’s abrupt so no longer a smooth ride. I’ve not changed anything electrically or otherwise.
I was about to watch the YouTube video for changing the point where assistance stops but it seems to have disappeared?

Chardo34

Jun 2, 2022
Rode today and noticed it happens at 15.4km so motor suddenly stopping assistance sounds right. It was seemless before and now it’s abrupt so no longer a smooth ride. I’ve not changed anything electrically or otherwise.
I was about to watch the YouTube video for changing the point where assistance stops but it seems to have disappeared?
Edit: found the link but seems it’s not possible to alter the computer. I’d need to replace it with a different one or buy an extra motor for the front wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: Wayners

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
When you reach max assistance, the motor cuts off and you are then trying to propel the weight of the bike, which is a whopping 50lb(49 ish) its that weight suddenly coming on the pedals feels like you've just dropped an anchor off the back.
You can counteract it to some extent but moving into lower speed gears, making the weight easier to pedal.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
When you say 15.4km do you actually mean 15.4 miles per hour. It's just assistance should go up to 25km/h which is about 15.5mph.

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
You say it's like applying the brake, are the wheels ok? maybe the bearings are shot, do the wheels spin freely on their own?