Road and light trail tyres needed

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
Fingers crossed mr courier should be delivering mine and the wife's new bikes on Friday and I want to put some road tyres on mine rather than the mtb tyres that it comes with as the bulk of my riding is road light trails etc.

These are what the bike comes with and is a 29er.......

The front tyre is a Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25 Kevlar lite skin
The rear tyre is a Schwalbe Racing Ralf 2.25 kevlar lite skin.

I was thinking of replacing Them,but I cannot find any that are suitable or the size that I would need and prefer to stay with schwalbe unless theres a better tyre out there.

Any suggestions......

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Thats the sort of riding i do, road & light trail..... when i replace my current tyres i'll probably go for Schwalbe Land Cruiser, they aren't too pricey either.

Reactions: baldylox

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
+1 for either the Schwalbe Land Cruisers, or the Marathon Plus MTB's.

If the majority of your riding is road and light tracks, then the Land Cruisers are the ones to go for.

More muddy, loose and wooded areas, then go for the Marathons.

According to Schwalbe, there is no difference between their 28" tyre sizing (Land Cruiser) and 29" tyre (Marathon Plus MTB)

http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/groessenbezeichnung.html

Edit: unless I read your post wrong and you meant the width.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: electrickery

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
After doing some more research, I see that the Land Cruiser tyre is only available in 1.75 width for your particular wheel.

The Marathon Plus MTB at 2.10 might be more suitable for your needs, plus you get the benefit of superior puncture protection over the Land Cruisers.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
New I've had Big Apple Plus on my KTM eRace 29 for summer road and trail use.

I junked the light weight but easily punctured OEM Racing Ralphs - (punctured when simply pushing the bike along a pavement one time - and that was enough to prompt a change to more durable tyres)

http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/tour-reader/big-apple-plus.html

I swap em round for Winter when I use Smart Sam Plus with more of a trail bias.

http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/offroad-reader/smart-sam-plus.html
Exactly my two tyre choices, the only difference is I have two pr's of wheels with the tyres already fitted for a quick change around ;)

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
Thanks guys.........:)

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
I quite like the look of these Schwalbe Big Apple as they come in a 29er with 2.35 width,so I was wondering has anyone tried the Big Apples and there thoughts on them.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The flexible side-wall is the main difference with my Michelin balloon tyres.

I have bought Big Bens for Number Two which are similar but with rougher tread, can't wait to try them. I stuck to 2" width so that I can fit mudguards and get the rear wheel out through the frame lock without deflating.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Very comfy to ride - their main forte is on the road as they roll very well. Acceptable to ride on dry light trails, though can be a tad skiddy in mud and wet grass.
Again Wicky has mirrored my views

electrickery

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2015
fife scotland
Hi dinger, I have a semi slick tyre on my revolver . smooth centre and knobbly edges. It rolls superbly. Much better than the wtb nano micro knobblies on my mtb. Schwalbe do the hurricane in 2.0 x 29 http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/offroad-reader/hurricane.html ..may suit what you need. Myself I am about to try 26 x 1.75 landcruisers on my mtb. They seem a good compromise for what I do
regards

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
Cheers guys,well my bike is not arriving tomorrow as planned as its not at the dealers yet hoping for it to arrive by Sat.:)