Road Safety...arrghhh

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
I've just been out on my bike for the first time in a week as i've been too scared to ride
(BTW yesterday a male cyclist was killed by a lorry near the scene of the other accident, apparently he swerved to avoid a nasty bit of road surface and was sucked under a passing lorry)

I tried to maintain a more central position in the road but found that some drivers overtook me then cut sharply in front, which was a bit scary too. I must admit that I've lost a bit of confidence on the roads and was a bit jumpy about any vehicle passing close to me.
I think the condition of UK roads is a big part of the problem. Pot holes and recesed drains at the side of the road are often overlooked by councils but are a real issue for cyclists. Cycling tight to the kerb almost means off-roading. Next time my wheels go out of true I will take photos of the holes and send them to the council with a bill for new wheels.

Coaches have been the biggest issue for me recently. There is one coach in particular that passes way too close so you can feel the sucking in. I really think I ought to phone the company and alert them to thier drivers lack of respect to cyclists. He is sure to kill somebody one day.

However, I do keep out from the kerb a bit and find this helps a lot. I also find that really bright cothes and rear light even in the daytime makes a massive difference. If you make a big effort to be seen people take a bigger effort to give more room.

BM

solobirch

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 22, 2008
London
Also one more thing: buy yourself a mirror and use it. That helps a lot.

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I'll second the mirror recommendation. I regularly adjust speed to integrate better with traffic approaching from behind. I find it makes cycling a lot safer.