Rockrider E-ST500

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Anyone got any info on the Rockrider ebike? On sale at the moment for £799, which seems like a good price.
Cant find many reviews but a few seem to suggest it may not like the wet?
Thanks,

Rockrider E-ST500

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Looks OK for the money. Gearing might be too low for riding on the road. I'd want a much bigger chain wheel than that. 48T would be more like it. AFAICS, it has a 34T or 38T chain wheel. It would n't be too expensive to change it.

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Looks OK for the money. Gearing might be too low for riding on the road. I'd want a much bigger chain wheel than that. 48T would be more like it. AFAICS, it has a 34T or 38T chain wheel. It would n't be too expensive to change it.
I actually have a Decathlon 2 mins down the road from work, so I've just popped down there. Looks good in the flesh, unfortunately it was up high on the shelf so couldnt see too much but as you say the chain wheel was very small. As its a hub drive would swapping the chain ring for a larger own have any detriment as I am interested in potentially swapping out.
I suppose the only issue will be if theres enough clearance for the bigger chain wheel from the frame stays?
Cant see much in the way of reviews, apart from those on the Decathlon site its self. Problems with water ingress on the battery but seems to suggest this is the V2 version on which the issue was solved.
I've got a second hand Vulcan at the moment which will be going back to Halfords with the E42 error issue at the weekend (still under warranty). Thinking this could replace it?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It looks like they widened the frame to accommodate wide tyres, leaving no clearance for a bigger chainwheel. Bu¿¿er!

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Also a downside / required upgrade for a happy ebiking life.... They come with mechanical disc brakes

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Also a downside / required upgrade for a happy ebiking life.... They come with mechanical disc brakes
Not so worried about that as I have a spare set of Shimano hydraulics at home but the lack of being able to enlarge the chain wheel could be an issue as I'd be using it for a commute, so having a limited top end could be frustrating :(

Reactions: KirstinS

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Not so worried about that as I have a spare set of Shimano hydraulics at home but the lack of being able to enlarge the chain wheel could be an issue as I'd be using it for a commute, so having a limited top end could be frustrating :(
Especially with a torque sensor, you can't air pedal. It might be worth having a close look to see how much clearance there is and what the chainline looks like. You might be able to space it outboard a bit more to give more clearance; however, all that might be a bit complicated with the torque sensor, depending on how it works and where it is. If it's in the motor, no problem, but if it's in the BB, it won't be easy.

I can just read 32T on the chainwheel on my 4K monitor. I'd say that you need a minimum of 42T with a torque sensor.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichB

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Yes, good info, thanks.
Think I might take another trip down there and ask to get it down from the display to have a really good look at it.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I wonder if you can ride it round inside the shop;) our decathlon has all the cycles on the first floor :oops: I try not to visit on a Saturday with all the brats zooming around on a test rides
Did they have the new mid drive with the brose motor in stock

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Ask the guy where the torque sensor is. If he doesn't know, look to see if a wire comes out anywhere around the bottom bracket.

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
I wonder if you can ride it round inside the shop;) our decathlon has all the cycles on the first floor :oops: I try not to visit on a Saturday with all the brats zooming around on a test rides
Did they have the new mid drive with the brose motor in stock
No, didn't have the mid drive. The only electric bike they had was the ST500.

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Ask the guy where the torque sensor is. If he doesn't know, look to see if a wire comes out anywhere around the bottom bracket.
I will do, I'll let you know what I find out. But other than the chain wheel we would you say it's good value or should I go for a homebrew?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
At £799 you will be pushed to convert /build a homebrew with all new parts ,and you can always take it back if you find a problem as they offer refunds in the 1st 30 days comes with 2year warranty too

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
At £799 you will be pushed to convert /build a homebrew with all new parts ,and you can always take it back if you find a problem as they offer refunds in the 1st 30 days comes with 2year warranty too
I think they actually do a 365 day refund guarantee so it looks like a no brainer to give it a try I guess. I'll see if I can take another look on Monday and take it from there.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Why would you commute on a mountain bike with knobbly tyres?

As you've identified, the gearing won't be suitable, not to mention the rest of the equipment.

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Why would you commute on a mountain bike with knobbly tyres?

As you've identified, the gearing won't be suitable, not to mention the rest of the equipment.
Because the roads round here resemble the surface of the moon!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The hybrid version will handle lunar surfaces but has more appropriate gearing and will be easier to pedal above and below the cut off speed.

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
The hybrid version will handle lunar surfaces but has more appropriate gearing and will be easier to pedal above and below the cut off speed.

But it's £200 more, doesn't look as good and won't be as comfortable. As I've got older I much prefer a bigger tyre, suspension and a comfortable ride rather than speed.

Reactions: lutin