Rockshox Reverb Seatpost

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
My reverb seat post is giving trouble in this cold weather.
Being hydraulic, it would appear that near zero temperatures stop it working.
It goes down under pressure but does not always come back up until things warm up or it is inverted.

Anyone else using one of these? I guess that its caused by increase oil viscosity. Can the oil be swapped for a thinner version?

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Last edited:

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Why don't you try getting one of those motor bike handlebar warmers ( those mats that wrap around the bars and heatup when you apply voltage) connect it to your battery and wrap part of your seatpost and then you can warm the hydraulics!

Something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00C594GZ4/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?qid=1422829025&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=motorbike hand warmer

I'm sure the timestamp on your post is wrong (02/02/1970) !
Not a bad suggestion but its actually fitted onto my no electric bike mtb. Very useful in the steep sections off road.
Thinking of fitting one to my Haibike shortly but it would appear that they are not best for winter use. Think i shall wait till spring.

Not sure what time stamp you can see but original post shows Today on my Ipad.

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Showing 11 hours ago now. Could power one of those things from.a cheap light battery for a short while to warm up the fluid.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Check the air pressure in there. Its unlikely to be the temperature causing the problems with the fluid.

There needs to be about 250psi in there I think.
Second that. Air pressure should resolve this. On the Stealths the pressure port is on the top under the saddle clamps. On the Standard Reverbs its on the bottom. Use your shock pump at that pressure.

Also there is a return rate adjuster on the lever control. But again its more likely to be low air pressure.

Martin

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Second that. Air pressure should resolve this. On the Stealths the pressure port is on the top under the saddle clamps. On the Standard Reverbs its on the bottom. Use your shock pump at that pressure.

Also there is a return rate adjuster on the lever control. But again its more likely to be low air pressure.

Martin
I see Martin is replying to any thread which mentions the possibility of a sale related to a Haibike as normal!;)

(Glad it's not looking like the problem is with the fluid itself).

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
I see Martin is replying to any thread which mentions the possibility of a sale related to a Haibike as normal!;)

(Glad it's not looking like the problem is with the fluid itself).
Sorry James,

Not following you? SRS already owns a bike from myself...

This post in particular I am just offering free advice on a product (RS Reverb) not actually purchased from myself?.. Just being nice.

Martin

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Sorry James,

Not following you? SRS already owns a bike from myself...

This post in particular I am just offering free advice on a product (RS Reverb) not actually purchased from myself?.. Just being nice.

Martin
I'm sure you are Martin, It just seems whenever I come across a post involving a Haibike and someone suggesting that they might be looking to buy an accessory for it, there you are in the next 3 posts providing helpful advice to ensure you get the business. Not criticising your business techniques or acumen, just having a laugh to myself! (I assumed others would laugh with me and that you would not take offense) - It's like seeing trex making a posts, always recommending a Woosh big bear as the bike of choice for the OP whatever the situation!
You want to go fast? - Call martin and get a Haibike!:cool: (you'll get good support, so will any pet you choose to carry!)

Reactions: Martin@e-bikeshop

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
I had not appreciated that these had air springs. With the air valve being hidden in the bottom of the post I had automatically assumed a physical metal spring.

Pressure now added and its back to normal. I have downloaded the service manual and now understand how the thing works.

The one thing the manual does state is that gripping paste should be used and not grease on the seat tube.

Grease forces one to over tighten the seat clamp and possibly distort the dropper tube causing an associated air leak.

Learn something new every day.

As for Martin chipping in, nobody can say he's not on the ball.

Thanks to all for their input. SRS