Rough feeling front bearings

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I had the front wheel off today replacing the tyre again and noticed that when I turn the axle by hand it doesn't feel completely smooth, instead it's a bit like rolling a bar with flats across a table.
1st - does this mean it's on it's way out or are these things not perfect?
2nd - if it does need replacing will packing it full of grease prolong the life a bit or am I wasting my time?
3rd - what do I need to replace, are these standard parts or do I need to take it apart first to find out what I need to order?
As any time off the road costs me money I may be tempted to buy a whole new wheel rather than chancing a long wait. If I got a new wheel I'd want a reasonable one where I know the spec of components before I hit problems, is this possible for £50? Other option is to buy a hub and lace my own wheel, might be fun.
Edit: Bike is a Wisper 905 so not a motorised hub.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hand turning by the spindle can feel very rough like that on a bike that's been used, but it may be just grit that's got in there and will probably perform ok for a long time. It's always possible that it was adjusted too tight at the outset and this has created small pits in the cone or cup, but again those will probably run in over time.

Most use those adjustable cups and cones with ball bearings and can easily be stripped, washed with paraffin etc and regreased. A few hubs use small sealed bearings which are non adjustable and they have to be replaced, but I doubt you have those from your description of the feel.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Just a thought - it's not the disc brake is it?

Hubs should last for years! But if it has gone and you do decide to just get a new wheel there are serviceable new ones on eBay for under £40.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Just a thought - it's not the disc brake is it?

Hubs should last for years! But if it has gone and you do decide to just get a new wheel there are serviceable new ones on eBay for under £40.
It's not the brake as I had the wheel off and turned the spindle by hand, hopefully it is just as Flecc said and quite normal. I'll give it a clean and grease after my toolkit turns up.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I am sure it is quite normal. Certainly it is true of all the new pedals I have bought - the bearings all seem "notchy" rather than smooth when turned by hand. I am also sure that the last wheel I bought felt the same - they certainly don't spin as freely as you would expect when turned by hand so I wouldn't worry.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I am sure it is quite normal. Certainly it is true of all the new pedals I have bought - the bearings all seem "notchy" rather than smooth when turned by hand. I am also sure that the last wheel I bought felt the same - they certainly don't spin as freely as you would expect when turned by hand so I wouldn't worry.
Yeah mines the same.. Hey maybe it's a dodgy batch:eek: