Routing cables inside frame.

cycling weakly

Pedelecer
Oct 4, 2015
I have built a BBS02b into a Kona Lanai hardtail frame. I would like to lose the excess cables inside the downtube but the length of the cable connecters means that to get the angle to insert them inside the tube I will need to drill two 20mm holes. The tube is quite beefy. I have already drilled it to fit extra rivnuts for the battery cradle & the wall was fairly thick, there is an external gusset near the head tube that I could drill through but near the bottom bracket the tube won't be as thick. A 20mm hole is going to remove about 13 or 14% of the circumference of the tube. Has anyone got any views on the wisdom or otherwise of this?

Steve

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I thought about this and would cut the cable, pass it then resolder the wires. A bit of a pain but you end up having a normal cable entry and exit hole comparable to gear/brake cable ones. It also permits adjusting the length of the cable to a perfect fit. To be very anal about it the best idea would be to have plugs at the entry hole so that you can take off the LCD for repair etc.

D

Deleted member 4366

OEM bikes have a slot about 10mm x 20mm and a special grommet to for in there. If you take the connectors off, you don't need such a big hole.

• Informative
Reactions: anotherkiwi

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
A 20 Ø hole is huge and is going to severely weaken the frame especially on an MTB if you give it a pounding off road

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
A 20 Ø hole is huge and is going to severely weaken the frame especially on an MTB if you give it a pounding off road
There should be parts on the frame where the material is of little to no use. I'm sure there is some clever moddling software that would be able to work out where those points are, and how much can be removed.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
I have built a BBS02b into a Kona Lanai hardtail frame. I would like to lose the excess cables inside the downtube but the length of the cable connecters means that to get the angle to insert them inside the tube I will need to drill two 20mm holes. The tube is quite beefy. I have already drilled it to fit extra rivnuts for the battery cradle & the wall was fairly thick, there is an external gusset near the head tube that I could drill through but near the bottom bracket the tube won't be as thick. A 20mm hole is going to remove about 13 or 14% of the circumference of the tube. Has anyone got any views on the wisdom or otherwise of this?

Steve
13 or 14 % of the circumference but how much percent of the diameter, a 40mm tube with a 20mm hole is 50%