Run your bosch ebike on any 36v battery

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Probably interesting, I haven't the patience for nearly an hour video. Maybe I will have when our Bosch battery finally dies. Does anyone know of a summary?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Probably interesting, I haven't the patience for nearly an hour video. Maybe I will have when our Bosch battery finally dies. Does anyone know of a summary?
Basically, you use the Bosch battery comms to switch on the Bosch battery and make the two + and - wires live, then your extender battery can provide power down those wires when connected. It only works if the Bosch battery has charge in it and is connected, so you still can't use any after-market battery on its own. You can use this method on any e-bike with comms-locked batteries.

We figured out this method years ago. He's made it more complicated than it needs to be. The sensible place to splice in an extender battery is into the wires between the battery receiver connector and the motor. He's opened the Bosch battery and spliced it in there, which is not nearly as simple, and he's ended up with wires everywhere, which doesn't look very safe to me, especially with that external bridge/switch thing.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: sjpt and Woosh

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Basically, you use the Bosch battery comms to switch on the Bosch battery and make the two + and - wires live, then your extender battery can provide power down those wires when connected. It only works if the Bosch battery has charge in it and is connected, so you still can't use any after-market battery on its own. You can use this method on any e-bike with comms-locked batteries.
Thank you for the clear information.