S06S controller - unidentified connector

point5clue

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2017
UK
Tonights job - checking the connectors match up to the components I've ordered.

I still have one connector unused which does not show up in the picture on the product page. It has black and yellow wires with a white female connector with 2x long thin spades inside. The diagram (would link to it but the BMSbattery site is down at the moment) doesn't show any connectors with just two wires.

Any ideas ?

I have nothing to plug in to the speed sensor, but a previous post suggests I can use the existing sensor from my bike computer (£5 Aldi special) ? Is a speed sensor essential ? Will it work without it connected ?

I only have one brake sensor connection, but two brake sensors so I've over ordered ! Presumably one is OK? Do people put it on the same side as the throttle or opposite ?

D

Deleted member 4366

What you plug into the speed sensor depends on which motor you have, as some have internal speed sensors.

Yellow and black is for two wire brake sensors. It's optional and sits in parallel with the 3-wire one.

D

Deleted member 4366

It has an internal speed sensor, so you need to look at the motor haqll sensor. If there's a white wire on each side, you don't need to do anything, but if there's only one on the motor side, you need to join the white wire from the speed sensor connector on the controller to it.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You only need a brake sensor on the rear brake. I would put it on the other hand than the one using the throttle personally. If you drop the throttle you don't need brake sensors with the Q100 and the KT controller.

point5clue

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2017
UK
It has an internal speed sensor, so you need to look at the motor haqll sensor. If there's a white wire on each side, you don't need to do anything, but if there's only one on the motor side, you need to join the white wire from the speed sensor connector on the controller to it.
The Controller end of the motor wire has the 3 thick wires for the 3 phases, and six loose spades. The controller diagram lists 5 colours (3 x hall sensor, red and black).

But both the motor wire and the controller connector also both have a white wire that is not documented.

It suggests to me that they are expecting you to stick that white wire spade into the connector along with the five listed.

Will I do any harm if I try with just that and only link the speed detector connector wire in if it doesn't work?

Is is just to read/display the speed, or does it affect how it works ?

D

Deleted member 4366

You put the spade in the connector along with the 5 hall sensor wires and forget about the other speed sensor connector. All three wires (red, black and white) are joined to the red black and white spade wires inside the controller box, so they're the same.

There's an additional hall sensor inside the hub. It gets its power from the red and black wires. When a magnet that's glued inside the hub passes it, it gives a voltage pulse down the white wire. A wheel-speed sensor works exactly the same except it's fixed to a chain-stay and the magnet on the wheel.

point5clue

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2017
UK
One more UFW - black and blue from the connector - in the bag with the connector for the motor wire, there was also a matching connector that loops blue to back (or is it the other way 'round?)

I've plugged it in - seem logical, but assembling today I thought I'd better check in case its one of those traps for the unwary...

Don't know if this link will work ?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Don't plug in that connector to the black and blue. It's for the cruise control, which is very dangerous if you don't know how it works and how to use it. You don't need it if you fit the PAS.

point5clue

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2017
UK
I'm intrigued, but I'll take you're advice until I've got the hang of it.

Out of interest does it cancel if the brake sensor comes on like a car? Nice safety feature if so...

I spend most of my driving life with the button pressed (Mitsu PHEV I have now has 'adaptive cruise control' so I sometimes turn in on and drive for hours on the motorway without touching either pedal !)

Can't wait for fully driverless cars - I suspect cycling will be safer when humans aren't in control of huge lumps of steel.

D

Deleted member 4366

When you have that connector activated, the cruise engages when you least expect it. As I said, the PAS is cruise control, so you don't need it. The PAS works when you pedal and stops when you stop pedalling, so easy to control. You still have the throttle for the odd time you want power without pedalling. There won't be any circumstances when you'll want to use the throttle for extended periods.