S866 controller ebike issues

smitch6

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 7, 2021
Hi i have a powacycle windsor that the controller went kaput.
so i bought a generic one off flamazon, which had the S866 led screen.
i have kind of managed to get it working.
had to get a new throttle and a new PAS also.
when it is in any mode 1-5 the PAS seems to work for a second then stop even though i'm still pedaling, but as soon as you stop pedaling the pas kickjs in for another few seconds.??

also when in mode 1 using the throttle i can only get about 1mph out of it,
if i switch to number 2 it goes a bit quicker up to No 5 where it will go about 9.5mph
i've nevr had this before.....
anyone got any ideas pls?

i've gone into the settings and told it it's a 24v with 26" wheels and that the PAS has 12 magnets.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi i have a powacycle windsor that the controller went kaput.
so i bought a generic one off flamazon, which had the S866 led screen.
i have kind of managed to get it working.
had to get a new throttle and a new PAS also.
when it is in any mode 1-5 the PAS seems to work for a second then stop even though i'm still pedaling, but as soon as you stop pedaling the pas kickjs in for another few seconds.??

also when in mode 1 using the throttle i can only get about 1mph out of it,
if i switch to number 2 it goes a bit quicker up to No 5 where it will go about 9.5mph
i've nevr had this before.....
anyone got any ideas pls?

i've gone into the settings and told it it's a 24v with 26" wheels and that the PAS has 12 magnets.
Your bringing back memories from about 5 years ago. I'm pretty sure that's what I had with an installation. If not, something like it. There were some very unususual settings in the LCD. Luckily, there was a Chinese explanation of the settings in the listing that I managed to decypher enough to figure it out. Was there anything in your listing? Have you got a link to it?

smitch6

Sep 7, 2021
this is the listing
there are some instructions but being chinenglish they are as useless as a chocolate fireguard lol

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I think the most likely cause of your problem is the setting for speed sensor magnets, which is P07, I think. How old is the bike? Does it have a speed sensor in the motor? Are you using an external speed sensor? What speed do you see on the display and when?

smitch6

Sep 7, 2021
no not using an external speed sensor,
Po7 i think is set at 100
not a clue how old the bike is, i'd say a few years old.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You didn't answer the questions about what speeds you see on the LCD, which were the most important ones.

The controller needs a speed sensor, and P07 setting has to be set correctly, otherwise it can't calculate speed correctly. Some motors have a speed sensor in them that transmits a speed signal through a white wire in the motor cable. The only way you know if it has one is to rotate the wheel backwards while switched on and measure the voltage on the white wire. If it does one pulse per revolution, you have one magnet in the speed sensor. If you get 6 pulses per revolution, you have 6 magnets, and if you get no pulses, you have no speed sensor, so you need an external wheel magnet type.

The P07 setting is the number of pulses per revolution, which it uses to calculate speed, so if you set it to 100 and you have one magnet, the calculculation will be out by a factor of 100.

Without a speed sensor, the controller will usually pick up a speed signal automatically from either the motor hall sensors or the back emf. You know when it's doing that because the speed goes to zero when free-wheeling, when the motor is stopped, but the wheel turning. The setting for that is normally zero

The wheel diameter (P06) also needs to be set correctly to calculate speed.

Post your actual settings here, so that we can go through them.

smitch6

Sep 7, 2021
sorry speeds, in setting 1 i get about 1mph in setting 2 about 3mph up to setting 5 i get 9.5mph

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
thats on the lcd, the wheel is defo faster in 5 than in 1
You need a spoke magnet speed sensor. You can buy an ebike specific one or cut one off a normal cycle computer. The ebike ones are three wires: 5v (probably red) goes to any other red 5v, like PAS, throttle or hall sensor; 0v (normally black) goes to any black ground; signal (often white) goes to the white in thr motor hall connector block. If it's a 2 wire one from a cycle computer, either wire goes to the white one in the hall block. The other will go to either any red 5v or any black ground. You have to see which way round it works. Some are 5v high pulsing low, and others are 0v low pulsing high with 5v.

Reactions: smitch6

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One for one speed magnet.

Reactions: smitch6