Sales volumes

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
I was out for a run in the central highlands of Scotland today. I visited a bike shop in a small town between Perth and Stirling. The bike shop has a café and sells some e bikes so I like to have a coffee there and look at his electric bikes. Anyway I was asking about a Haibike he had in stock and he said they are very popular and sell well. I thought maybe he was talking about a few bikes here and there,but he said no we sold about fifty last summer. FIFTY top end Haibikes from a small village shop in Scotland ! can that be right ?
I am out on my bike at least twice a week all over Perthshire/Kinross and Fife and I have never seen one. Where are they on the back of camper vans in France or just languishing in garages ?
so what do the retailers/folk on here think ?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the market for e-bikes in the UK is between 25,000 and 35,000 a year, roughly divided into half Chinese, half European. Most e-bikes are sold by large mail order companies and Halfords. I estimate that about 5,000 German e-bikes and 5,000 Chinese e-bikes go through about 500 small local bike shops each year.

Reactions: tillson

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
about 20 e-bikes a year per shop.
Less than 7% of the shop's turnover.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last summer wasn't great and maybe they didn't want to get them dirty and wet, may be some will have hibernated well and come out this year.

haggis

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2015
Fife
So at 5 times the average for German bikes sales for small shop outlets, their claim seems very high

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
there are always pockets of e-bikes.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i seen 2 up the forest of dean and 1 sduro hard tail but was on the fire roads.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Seems like that is a national past time. :(

All that money tied up, and then not using the bike.

To many fair weather riders, the thought of all year round riding means the bike will have to be cleaned. A bit like Lord Vader of this Parish plenty of posing pics of shiny bikes and upgrades but no proper trail or off road adv pics :oops:.

Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:D and my m8 said dont scratch the car lol

MRMAC9

Pedelecer
May 24, 2015
I've only seen two ebikes in Belfast this year so far. One was a newish looking Freego Eagle and a small-wheeled ebike whose elderly owner was pushing it along the pavement. But, then, the weather has been dire these past three months with so few dryish days.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I bet they have lots of private land without public access in Scotland... :rolleyes:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
They used to have that in NZ too till the Yank billionaires bought the land surrounding some of the best trout fishing rivers in the world. The access is still free once you get past the guys "out hunting" with shotguns under their arms and those new hunting dogs, what are they called? Ah yes Doberman Pinschers...

damian

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2015
Belfast
I've only seen two ebikes in Belfast this year so far. One was a newish looking Freego Eagle and a small-wheeled ebike whose elderly owner was pushing it along the pavement. But, then, the weather has been dire these past three months with so few dryish days.
There's a new looking cube ebike hours from ormeau to the harbour estate most weekdays now.
I haven't seen anyone else on one though...

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
Your right Eddie,you can take your bike anywhere in Scotland. There is complete freedom to roam anywhere with bikes, horses, canoes and shanks's pony.

MRMAC9

Pedelecer
May 24, 2015
There's a new looking cube ebike hours from ormeau to the harbour estate most weekdays now.
I haven't seen anyone else on one though...

I feel that when I do buy an ebike this Spring it will have to be local. A proper bike shop with mechanics rather than from the likes of Halfords or Chain Reaction.