Same rated Ebike controllers give differant results

James M

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 25, 2014
Just before Xmas my reliable ebike conversion kit broke. Turns out now it was the wheel, I tried to replace the hall sensors but kind of made a pigs ear out of it!

Anyway, I bought a new kit, the same one from the same company, 'they had slightly changed small things like the colour of the motor n controller, and so on, still rated the same as my old kit at '250watt 24v'

I noticed when riding up hill the motor seemed to make more of a vibrating sound compared to my old ebike kit, but wasnt concerned, it is quite on flat roads.

Decided to wire on the controller from my old kit on to the new kit to test if it was the controller that had broke on my previous kit or if it was the wheel, the controller was fine, but i noticed now the motor is alot more quite when under more strain like going up hills! So I have kept this controller on.

Pointless thread but shows that controllers do make a differance to the performance of the kit.

D

Deleted member 4366

The controller gives power to the motor in discrete on/off pulses, like knocking the motor round. You can feel/hear this more at low speed. The higher the current, the bigger the knock, so the more the noise/vibration. We might conclude, therefore, that your quiet controller gives less current, so you might find that it gives you less help up hills.

Another factor is the timing of the power pulses that the controller sends to the motor. Small differences in the electronic components or software can make a significant difference.

Not relevant to your observations, but maybe of interest to readers, are sine-wave controllers that sort of push the motor round rather than knock it, so the motor runs much smoother and quieter.

Often we see controllers as a silver box with a label on it, but what's inside can be completely different even though the same on the outside.

James M

Nov 25, 2014
There may be a slight differance in the hill climbs, havn't noticed though.

James M

Nov 25, 2014
I suppose with differant wiring and componants used, there would have to be slight changes in the workings of the controller.
I will stick with the old controller though as there isn't enough differance in power for me to be bothered about it, I prefer the quiter model for the time being.

Can 'sine wave controllers work on these types of kits?

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes. The S06S from BMSBattery is pretty good if you have hall sensors in your motor.

D

Deleted member 4366

You have to add the cost of a S-LCD1 or S-LCD3 display and a wheel-speed sensor. They're about £45 all up with shipping. You will have to change a few connectors too, so call it £50.

Still a good value upgrade for most electric bikes even at that price.