Saris Bones

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
hi, anyone any experience of using a Saris Bones 2, bike carrier on the boot of a saloon car with their ebike ?

regards

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Yes, i've used the Bones 3 bike carrier, and they're essentially the same. They tend to fit any car, but not necessarily any bike. If your front triangle is small then you might struggle. Sometimes you can put one arm through the rear triangle, i expect you'd have to do this on a "behind the seatpost" style bike like a Wisper or a Cyclamatic (with the battery out). The only was to be sure is to try one out, any good retailer will give you a full refund if it doesnt fit, afterall, it would be "not fit for purpose".

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Yes, i've used the Bones 3 bike carrier, and they're essentially the same. They tend to fit any car, but not necessarily any bike. If your front triangle is small then you might struggle. Sometimes you can put one arm through the rear triangle, i expect you'd have to do this on a "behind the seatpost" style bike like a Wisper or a Cyclamatic (with the battery out). The only was to be sure is to try one out, any good retailer will give you a full refund if it doesnt fit, afterall, it would be "not fit for purpose".
thanks...would the 'saris beam' extra overcome any bike fit issues ???

regards

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Not necessarily, my friend bought a new Specialized Pitch Pro, pic below. He'd bought the bones a few weeks before, for his old bike, but found he was getting really back into riding so bought the Pitch. The suspension makes the front triangle very small, and the Saris arm wouldnt fit in the brace triangle between the crossbar and the seat tube either. It would fit inside the rear triangle, but that left the bike at an odd angle, making it impossible to fit top-to-tail with his other half's bike. He looked into the saris beam, but decided it overcomplicated the whole operation and left hit bike very low on the rack, obscuring his numberplate and lights. The shop gave him a refund and he found a tubular one that fitted hit bike better.

Dont get me wrong though, if it fits its a great rack, and it will fit most bikes. Be aware with eBikes though that the wheelbase is often longer, leading to bigger overhangs each side of the car.

I'd also advise, on any rack, get some foam pipe insulation from B&Q and wrap the lower tubes wherever the two bikes could rub together.