Sat Nav

Cabo

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2012
Belfast
Have been looking for GPS for bike that i can pre plan routes in the country and then follow it. Either by drawing route along road map or if thats not possible mark waypoints at all the junctions where i need to turn off.
I am printing off those brilliant Sustans routes. But as they require many turn offs, have to stop frequently get out map and carry on.

D

Deleted member 4366

Get a smart phone. They're cheaper, have nice aps for route planning and display, and you can use them to phone your friends to tell them what a great time your having.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I use Copilot on my Galaxy Note smartphone:

It has a setting for Bicycle & the paid version gives me voice guidance, which I get through a bluetooth earpiece.

Also, have a look at Cyclestreets for route planning.

Cabo

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2012
Belfast
I use Copilot on my Galaxy Note smartphone:

It has a setting for Bicycle & the paid version gives me voice guidance, which I get through a bluetooth earpiece.

Also, have a look at Cyclestreets for route planning.
Thanks for info. Downloaded Copilot on my own Galaxy note. Was playing around for over an hour with the app. - marking in a few routes when i got a warning from 02 that i had used almost 1GB out of my 1.5 allowance, leaving me 0.17 left.
Do you find a heavy usage say for 2-4 hour cycle with nav. on?

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Blimey Cabo, you've done something wrong there: Copilot doesn't use any data allowance whatever!

I assume you downloaded the uk maps? Ahh - Did you download the maps over your mobile data service? They are big files that you would normally download over wifi.

Once the uk maps are downloaded, it shouldn't need to access the internet at all unless you're using live traffic updates.

Last edited:

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Yes, my smartphone navigation app doesn't use any of my data allowance when I move around with it. Just to make doubly sure, I disable data connectivity on the phone anyway, as I'm a bit leary of straying over my measly 1GB/month, for that way lies ruination when the telecoms companies get into your bank account for the hideously overpriced megabytes.

Cabo

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2012
Belfast
Yes downloaded UK & Ireland maps from mobile data service. Disabled optioned = Live Traffic and Route Sharing etc. on install.
Will check today (very carefully) when i take a small run later today what usage navigating. Perhaps the initial install and playing about for over an hour racked it up.
Still got 8 days to go before new months allowance. :eek:

mrpscott

Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2010
I use the Satmap handle bar mounted device and have done so for over 4 years - pre 'app age'!! It was, and probably still is quite expensive, however it does the job that you are looking to get done.
I prefer to use the Satmap so that I keep my phone battery intact in case I have to call 'International Rescue' (wife!!)

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I prefer to use the Satmap so that I keep my phone battery intact in case I have to call 'International Rescue' (wife!!)
Good point, that - My solution is to have a spare 5ah battery for the Note:

I got it from Amazon marketplace some time ago, complete with a "beergut" back for the phone, cost was £5.99 .

It lives in my backpack & goes on the phone if I'm intending to be out more than about 6 hours.

Last edited: