Say Bike - why cars pull out in front of bikes

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I'm part way through reading the research report which looks very good, but would like to chuck in another angle which the researchers did not look at.
Several times I have approached a junction and at the last minute realised a cyclist (not motorcyclist) was crossing my path and I was about to knock him off. I came to realise that this only happened when the cyclist and I were moving at a particular relative speed and at right angles and the cyclist remained hidden for the entire time behind my driver's side door pillar. It's an accident of speed and geometry and I suspect that it hasn't happened with motorcyclists for me because the relative speed is different.
Mike

Reactions: D C

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You can get momentary lapses of perception when what you see isn't what you were expecting. 50 years ago I approached a T junction on a bicycle, stopped, signalled, looked, saw a car coming ... and rode straight in front of it. Luckily the driver was more sensible than me and she managed an emergency stop (thank you to her).

Reactions: MikeS

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
You can get momentary lapses of perception when what you see isn't what you were expecting. 50 years ago I approached a T junction on a bicycle, stopped, signalled, looked, saw a car coming ... and rode straight in front of it. Luckily the driver was more sensible than me and she managed an emergency stop (thank you to her).
haha - that needs publishing on one of the motorbike forums I'm on. A reverse of what usually happens to bikers, and I bet we bikers have done that too.
Mike