Schwalbe smart Sam, terrible on wet tarmac!

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
I got a pair of these recently had them in the rain today. They are rather slippy on wet pavement, fortunately it's not the washout kind as they seem to recover well from going under but still damn! A shame as they are excellent in the dry and decent grip on hardpack and also very fast for a "knobbly". Thought they would be a do all commuter but I'm going to have to be very careful in the rain, just fixed everything from my last spill. I may change the front tyre and keep the fast rolling back though

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Strange
I run the addix 2.6" wide version and i find them good in the wet
Are you running them a bit hard maybe
_20190609_222048.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Gringo

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Ive been commuting with my Smart Sams for 18months come rain or shine and have never had any problems with them in the wet.

Reactions: Gringo

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Its not just me then, curious about the OP. I also like Sams and have them on 2 bikes.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Strange
I run the addix 2.6" wide version and i find them good in the wet
Are you running them a bit hard maybe
View attachment 30785
I have them at 40psi like any tyre I run. Maybe a bit lower would help with these? They felt fine yesterday though, maybe where I slipped was greasy too. I've also made a conscious effort to put more of my weight to the front when I ride. See how I get on.

Reactions: Fat Rat

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I have them at 40psi like any tyre I run. Maybe a bit lower would help with these? They felt fine yesterday though, maybe where I slipped was greasy too. I've also made a conscious effort to put more of my weight to the front when I ride. See how I get on.
I run mine at 30/35 just for info
As you say thou it may have been a patch in the road
Keep safe

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
I run mine at 30/35 just for info
As you say thou it may have been a patch in the road
Keep safe
Might have been, in which case these are safer as I was able to recover by throwing my weight around. On the Vittoria tyres there was no warning at all. It's dry now so I feel a bit more confidence lol

Reactions: Fat Rat

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
in which case these are safer as I was able to recover by throwing my weight around
The Sams are dual compound, harder in the central tread area for better road speed but less grip especially at higher pressure, I’m between 20&30 psi in the front

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
The Sams are dual compound, harder in the central tread area for better road speed but less grip especially at higher pressure, I’m between 20&30 psi in the front
Yeah I think that's it, as soon as they went sideways they recovered well. Might just put something tackier in the front as I do wet weather fairly often

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I did well over 3000 miles on my Smart Sams never had a problem. I wont go out when its raining or the roads soaking wet, but living in the UK I have been caught out in the rain many times. I found the Smart Sams a good all round tire. I now have marathon pluses fitted for the puncture protection, but they are nothing like as good as the Smart Sams for off road work.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
I did well over 3000 miles on my Smart Sams never had a problem. I wont go out when its raining or the roads soaking wet, but living in the UK I have been caught out in the rain many times. I found the Smart Sams a good all round tire. I now have marathon pluses fitted for the puncture protection, but they are nothing like as good as the Smart Sams for off road work.
Struggling to understand why I find mine so slippy. Maybe it's just "new tyre" syndrome till they bed in

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Struggling to understand why I find mine so slippy. Maybe it's just "new tyre" syndrome till they bed in
When I have had new tyres fitted to motorcycles in the past I have always been told to take it easy on them for the first 80 to 100 miles or so, especially in the rain, so perhaps its the same for bicycle tyres but the bedding in period would be a lot less I would think.

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
Had Sams and found them OK, but changing to Kenda Small Block 8s has been an eye opener. Much better grip in all conditions. Downside of them is slightly higher rolling resistance and the whine of the blocks on tarmac.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Had Sams and found them OK, but changing to Kenda Small Block 8s has been an eye opener. Much better grip in all conditions. Downside of them is slightly higher rolling resistance and the whine of the blocks on tarmac.
Shame they don't have many wheel size options in the Kendas :(

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Well the tyres seem a lot better now "broken in". The front does squirm unnervingly under hard braking though, as long as I don't need to emergency stop in the rain they should be ok lol

badlywornroy

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2018
Richmond North Yorkshire
I’m surprised that your surprised you find them “so slippy” on wet roads. With a ‘knobbly’ tyre like this you have minimum rubber on the road. Straight line grip is going to be ok but once you start cornering/braking at speed you are on the limit.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
I’m surprised that your surprised you find them “so slippy” on wet roads. With a ‘knobbly’ tyre like this you have minimum rubber on the road. Straight line grip is going to be ok but once you start cornering/braking at speed you are on the limit.
Had plenty of knobbly tyres and never had an issue until these, since they've done a few miles they seem normal now. Today will be the test it's soaking out there. As for minimum rubber have you seen the width of some roadie tyres? I suspect it's more to do with the compounds used or the knobs squirming under force

Reactions: badlywornroy

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Well I survived, starting to feel more confidence in them now. Broke hard due to traffic and didn't die so they must just be bad when new

Reactions: badlywornroy