Schwalbe Snow Stud Tyre Problem

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I fitted my Schwalbe snow stud tyres last week and I've been plagued with punctures ever since in the rear wheel only. I finally got to the bottom of it tonight. There is a piece of strong metal wire sticking out of the inside of the tyre! I've attached a picture (with my thumb as a frame of reference!).

I know very little about tyres so I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some info. Do I have a defective tyre or is this normal? I've certainly never come across anything like it before in all my years of changing bike tyres.

At least the mystery is solved. I'm getting fed up of riding in to work on a non-electric and non-suspension bike - I don't know how you non-sussers do it, I felt like I'd been on a bone shaker ride at the fairground when I got home. I guess you quickly get used to luxury and even more quickly miss it when it's taken away from you.

Attachments

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
I'm guessing that that's the wire bead that runs around the tyre's edge and helps keep it on the rim. I should imagine it is either a defective tyre or I suppose it might have happened when putting it on. For what it's worth, I sprinkle talc on the tube and inside the tyre to prevent sticking, and examine the tyre at the same time - both visually and by running my hands around it as I spread the talc about.

Punctures are bad enough at the best of times but not what you want at all in the cold and dark. :(

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I've checked it again and it doesn't look like it could have happened when putting the tyre on, so I'll send it back.

I've also noticed that the tread on the other snow stud tyre isn't true. If I spin it it leans substantially from one side to the other. I've let the air out and checked the rim is seated properly but I get the exact same problem. I've never noticed this to the same extent on any other tyre I've owned. Is this tyre defective too?

I was under the impression that Schwalbe were a respected brand. Is this not the case?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've had the snow stud tyres fitted for about a week and I haven't noticed either problem, if the tread is causing a problem then send it back as mine feels perfect.

halflife

Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2008
Just curious, doesn't fitting studded snow tires when there is no snow not cause a problem on tarmac? I would have thought like car snow tires they are worse than standard tires when there is no snow?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Just curious, doesn't fitting studded snow tires when there is no snow not cause a problem on tarmac? I would have thought like car snow tires they are worse than standard tires when there is no snow?
These ones have studs off to the side so on normal tarmac increase the pressure and the studs are lifted off the surface.* Then it's just like riding treaded road tyres that make a funny noise round corners.

* Unless you are a bloater like me and no amount of pressure does the trick. :D

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I thought exactly the same thing but then when you do the maths you realise that there is only a tiny fraction of the surface area in contact with the road that is metal, so it really doesn't make any difference apart from being a bit more noisy, and saving your life on black ice! Apparently the metal
they are made from is so strong the rubber wears out before the metal does so I don't think wear is an issue either.

I'm sending my rear tyre back but hanging on to the front one. It doesn't seem to cause any problem when riding which I guess is the most important point.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Hi

Sound like all you need now is some snow.

thx

Bob
TBH I don't think they would do that well in snow, there are far more extreme tyres that are more suitable. I am hoping that they will do very well on the ice as I've had enough injuries this winter through falling off.

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
TBH I don't think they would do that well in snow, there are far more extreme tyres that are more suitable. I am hoping that they will do very well on the ice as I've had enough injuries this winter through falling off.
I second that. I feel quite confident on snow on normal tyres, I find it predictable. Black ice on the other hand is almost invisible and can instantly drop your bike with no warning. That's the sole reason I got these tyres. That said, I'll be more than happy if I don't see any ice at all for the rest of the winter.