Scott ebike cafe lock

Argus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 25, 2021
DD8
Have a question someone may be able to answer. My new Scott Sub Active has some kind of "cafe lock" with a key. But it seems the key can only be removed if the lock is closed. Is this correct? Nothing about it in the manual that I can see.

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster
There are two types of these locks, one where the key is captive until locked and the other where the key can be removed. There is nothing wrong with it, you have just got the first type.

Reactions: Argus

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Some thoughts about this type of lock (I bought 2 bikes that came with those locks fitted, I removed both and used a good cable lock instead).

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
There was a post not that long ago where someone was using that type of lock outside the supermarket.
While he was shopping some ne’er-do-well just picked the bike up and walked of with it.
Personally I’d bin it in favour of a lock that allows you to secure the bike to a fixed object.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
There was a post not that long ago where someone was using that type of lock outside the supermarket.
While he was shopping some ne’er-do-well just picked the bike up and walked of with it.
Personally I’d bin it in favour of a lock that allows you to secure the bike to a fixed object.
I'm not a lover of those locks.

Many have an arrangement so they can be used in conjunction with a cable (no lock on the cable) for locking to a fixed object. Still easier just to use a cable lock.