Seago replacement chain(120link) and parts.

Dan7

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 4, 2019
Hi!
I have a Seago folding electric bike, I was having trouble changing between 7 and 6 gear.
I think I may have got a bit to harsh with changing gear going up hill and manage to disconnect a link.

Managed to get back home buy bashing it back on but now need to replace.

Ive counted 120 links on the chain, local stores only seem to stock up to 116.

has anyone brought a new chain for a Seago?
I assume putting a 116 link on would be bad?

Thanks

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Hi!
I have a Seago folding electric bike, I was having trouble changing between 7 and 6 gear.
I think I may have got a bit to harsh with changing gear going up hill and manage to disconnect a link.

Managed to get back home buy bashing it back on but now need to replace.

Ive counted 120 links on the chain, local stores only seem to stock up to 116.

has anyone brought a new chain for a Seago?
I assume putting a 116 link on would be bad?

Thanks
Almost certainly bad. Put the bike into the lowest gear (big sprocket at the back) with the current chain and see how much slack there is in the chain. Fold some links together to get an idea of what it would be like in that gear with a shorter chain (if it could even get into it at all).

Reactions: Dan7

Dan7

Aug 4, 2019
Almost certainly bad. Put the bike into the lowest gear (big sprocket at the back) with the current chain and see how much slack there is in the chain. Fold some links together to get an idea of what it would be like in that gear with a shorter chain (if it could even get into it at all).
You’re correct.
on the largest sprocket if couldn’t be any shorter.

Is it possible to buy two 116 link chains and break the second to get the additional 4 links?

Dan7

Aug 4, 2019
Looks like I may be able to buy addition links for a chain.
all my local shops wont Service or have anything to do with e bikes not brought from them. Makes it a bit of a pain.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
It would be fine to add links, easier to get one right first time though they seem a little scarce.

I assume it's got a hub motor, so no need to get stronger e-bike chain (probably not necessary even with crank motors).

Not at all sure how good zonkie chains are. That page also came up with a unisex and men's chains; first time I'd seen sex specific chains (no further comment).

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Coincidently I too changed the chain on my own Seago City Lite folder recently and was faced with the same problem. I wanted to go up market and get a KMC X9sl Chain, Ti-N Gold with 114 Links, so 6 links shorter and made for a 9 sp gear block. Amazingly I found it works great, it shouldn't but it does and I have a 56t chain ring to boot.
Incredibly I didn't even have to adjust anything after fitting it, all 7 gears top to bottom spot on.
All these measurements & calculations you can look up on chain length are all well and good but there's a whole list of factors that come into play when trying to determine how long a bike chain should be.
Beware of cheap chains though, they're made with low carbon steel and wear faster.

Dan7

Aug 4, 2019
Thanks all.
im a bit wary of posting links as some forums don’t like it.

Will grab one of them chains thanks.

in the mean time I picked up a 2xlink set from Halfords, prised the broken link out and replaced it. Seems to do the job for now. Gotta take the link tool back as you don’t need it.

Also picked up one of those chain cleaner contraptions. Thought it looked really cheap but it did a amazing job!

Reactions: RossG

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
My Cube Hybrid touring pro came with a 122 link chain which is only available in that length as an ebike chain. I'm lucky in that I changed out the 38t front chainring for a 32t so a standard 114 link chain is just long enough.

Darren