Searching mounting-plate to secure battery to downtube with hose clamps

vulcanears

Pedelecer
May 23, 2018
I'm looking for an alternative to Grin's Triple Bob downtube hose clamp battery mount with UK/EU availability, since shipping fees from Canada to England are 33USD.

Last week my bike fell over and the battery ripped the two bottle eyelets out of the downtube - I'd rather avoid this in the future and am looking for a more secure mounting solution. Grin's Triple Bob mounting system looks great, but I'd rather avoid the shipping fees if possible.

Any suggestions/ideas?

TYVM in advance

Attachments

Reactions: Woosh

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
The ideo going over in my mind is an aluminium plate and saddle clips, preferably stainless, to hold the plate. I am still looking for a frame...

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, what about buying some aluminium tracking, drill holes where needed. To secure the tracking your could put longer bolts through the tracking and into the frame. Attach any cage / holder bolts by putting the nuts (square ones might work best) on the underside of the tracking..

Last edited:

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I found 3D printing my own to be the best solution. I tried mounting to the bottle mount, but on an alloy frame it's bad news and it just stripped the whole thing out.

There are 3 parts, two frame clamps and a carrier for this silverfish rail.

The carrier bolts into the clamps with 4 bolts.

The hardest part of it all was trying to guess the cross section of the frame tube so that the clamps would be a good fit. The tube was not circular, but a curved irregular hexagon shape.

Reactions: Woosh and Swizz

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Have been stressing over this a bit my self - am fitting a HL battery to an ally drop tube frame.

The tube diameter is 32mm so am using 3 rivnuts & saddle washers - https://www.seascrew.com/browse.cfm?SADDLE-WASHERS-FOR-ROUND-TUBE-&l=0000000170

Have ordered the double ones for more surface area & may epoxy them to the frame to take some load off the rivnuts.

Must admit that Wheezys 3d printed solution seems like the perfect solution though.

2 bottle mounts screws alone as they are intended to fit look really poor although I haven't read as many accounts of them failing as I expected to :/

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Have been stressing over this a bit my self - am fitting a HL battery to an ally drop tube frame.

The tube diameter is 32mm so am using 3 rivnuts & saddle washers - https://www.seascrew.com/browse.cfm?SADDLE-WASHERS-FOR-ROUND-TUBE-&l=0000000170

Have ordered the double ones for more surface area & may epoxy them to the frame to take some load off the rivnuts.

Must admit that Wheezys 3d printed solution seems like the perfect solution though.

2 bottle mounts screws alone as they are intended to fit look really poor although I haven't read as many accounts of them failing as I expected to :/
I like the idea of the saddle washers. Are you lucky enough to have a circular tube? Makes life a lot easier.

I forgot to mention, the 3D printed parts came to only 200g in total, whereas the enclosure I was going to attach to the bottle holder made of plywood was more than 500g.

I think Vulcanears has a big 90 cell pack, so it could explain why his broke away.

Mine was a 15.6Ah Silverfish, with a metal case. This adds another kg on top of the batteries and BMS. Smaller 8Ah packs may be less of a problem.

Reactions: Swizz

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, great idea about the saddle washers, I wonder if it is worth modifying them slightly. Say the outside diameter of the river nut is 8mm then make the saddle washer hole 8mm. This would provide a flush finish and allow no gap between the battery / battery holder / frame. This may or may not provide less opportunity for movement and a nicer looking finish.

Reactions: Swizz

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Hi, great idea about the saddle washers, I wonder if it is worth modifying them slightly. Say the outside diameter of the river nut is 8mm then make the saddle washer hole 8mm. This would provide a flush finish and allow no gap between the battery / battery holder / frame. This may or may not provide less opportunity for movement and a nicer looking finish.
Yes am doing exactly that, along with drilling the ally base of the battery bracket for the 3rd mounting & shim the other two so it sits level. If you don't read of any tales of woe regarding my battery falling off you know it has done okay ;-D

Reactions: WheezyRider

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
I like the idea of the saddle washers. Are you lucky enough to have a circular tube? Makes life a lot easier.

I forgot to mention, the 3D printed parts came to only 200g in total, whereas the enclosure I was going to attach to the bottle holder made of plywood was more than 500g.

I think Vulcanears has a big 90 cell pack, so it could explain why his broke away.

Mine was a 15.6Ah Silverfish, with a metal case. This adds another kg on top of the batteries and BMS. Smaller 8Ah packs may be less of a problem.
Battery here is a Hairon 14.5ah from pswpower, so possibly a touch lighter.

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020

Anyone found alternatives for those grintech ones or these lunacycle ones? 50 dollars for shipping is a bit too much. I was just thinking about making something like this myself from aluminium slab:

Peddlin' Pedro

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
West Sussex, UK

Anyone found alternatives for those grintech ones or these lunacycle ones? 50 dollars for shipping is a bit too much. I was just thinking about making something like this myself from aluminium slab:

View attachment 40843
We got a Double Bob for our 17.5 HL pack from https://www.ebike-solutions.com/. This was in September last year. Wasn't shown on their website at the time but I emailed them and they had them in stock. They were very helpful. Came to 39.80 EUR all in, delivered to UK.

Reactions: mt247

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020

View attachment 40843
Personally I would not rely on plastic cable ties to secure an expensive item like a battery to a frame!
Plastic ties are designed for low load, multipoint attachment of cabling.
Rivnuts to secure battery plate to frame. Then a Velcro strap for extra security https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfatex-by-Velcro-Brand-strapping-Cable-Ties-with-buckle-Band-luggage-Strap/391757046828?hash=item5b368a242c:g:tA8AAOSw1NFaKS7o. around the battery and frame.

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
Personally I would not rely on plastic cable ties to secure an expensive item like a battery to a frame!
Plastic ties are designed for low load, multipoint attachment of cabling.
Rivnuts to secure battery plate to frame. Then a Velcro strap for extra security https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfatex-by-Velcro-Brand-strapping-Cable-Ties-with-buckle-Band-luggage-Strap/391757046828?hash=item5b368a242c:g:tA8AAOSw1NFaKS7o. around the battery and frame.
Instead of plastic ties I would use metallic ones or hose clamps. Metallic zip ties are really strong and sturdy.

I ordered few velcro straps few weeks ago from china, but the shipping is quite slow at the moment.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Instead of plastic ties I would use metallic ones or hose clamps. Metallic zip ties are really strong and sturdy.

I ordered few velcro straps few weeks ago from china, but the shipping is quite slow at the moment.
Yep agree.
To use the metallic zip ties correctly. You need the proper tension tool!

Reactions: mt247

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I have not tried these but might work

Wolf Tooth B-RAD 4-Slot Mounting Base

Review

Place to buy

76 Projects Piggy On Bike Storage

Review