seat height.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Too trip to local bike shop yesterday, got chatting to a group of cyclists outside, who were giving my Woosh the once over, main comments I had were about the seat height I had it set at. They say I have it to low, and it not good for my knees. I have it set so on stopping I can comfortably sit on the saddle with the ball of my foot on the ground. I dont have any real problems riding the bike, not to keen on he flat handle bars but im going to change them. What there saying is when the pedel is at its lowest my leg it should only be slightly bent, to get this I have to raise the saddle, I have tried raising the saddle, but dont find it comfortable. Im ok with it as it is, whats the views on seat height and set up on bikes.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
If you can touch the ground easily with a lot of your foot the saddle is too low. So they're right. If you put the heel of your foot on the pedal at its lowest point when you're in the saddle your leg should be just about straight.

Having said that they're probably working their knees a lot more than you are with your motor. So unless you're working hard uphill maybe it doesn't matter much.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
They are right. Being able to reach the ground while sat in the saddle is not the goal.

I seem to remember lots of peeps trying to tell you how to set the saddle height in a previous thread.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
The advice you were given is correct. With electric bikes it is perhaps less important because you don't need to put in as much pedal effort yourself. But for normal cycling, with the saddle too low, you limit your power input and it is bad for your knees.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
They are correct but if you don't intend to use much pressure on the pedals or travel very far you may get away without doing damage to your knees, only time will tell.
I seem to remember you had this same issue with your first bike.
Dave.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Ok..I will compromise a bit and raise the saddle so I can just touch the ground with my foot while seated. I did ride it with the saddle set high when I first had the bike, it was ok on the move, but not in stop start traffic, thats why I lowered it, plus i found it much easier to mount and demount when stationary. I can see what your saying about the knees, and yes I did find hills slightly easier with the saddle high, i could push harder. Im not going to be doing very long rides on this bike, 8 miles a day round trip to work, leisure rides at weekends of about 20 miles, if i was younger i may be concerened about knee problems, but at 67 im not so concerned. I'll raise the saddle a bit and see how I get on.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Had a ride on a woosh cd sports today and the saddle first time out was to low and did not get enough power down due to knees being too bent, second ride was far better with a higher seat position and straighter leg.
My normal cycle I have a staright leg and touch the ground on tippy toes.

One_Box

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2014
Leominster
Ok..I will compromise a bit and raise the saddle so I can just touch the ground with my foot while seated. I did ride it with the saddle set high when I first had the bike, it was ok on the move, but not in stop start traffic, thats why I lowered it, plus i found it much easier to mount and demount when stationary. I can see what your saying about the knees, and yes I did find hills slightly easier with the saddle high, i could push harder. Im not going to be doing very long rides on this bike, 8 miles a day round trip to work, leisure rides at weekends of about 20 miles, if i was younger i may be concerened about knee problems, but at 67 im not so concerned. I'll raise the saddle a bit and see how I get on.
This is interesting :-
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/how-to-get-your-seat-height-right-14608/

I found using the Greg Lemond method gave a really good position which equated to 27.5 Degrees using the Holmes method.

I'm surprised you're not concerned about your knees at 67, at 66 I'm trying to keep mine in top fettle. :)

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Is this the fourth time we've discussed seat height with you Denwyn ?

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/juicy-sport-seat-height.15782/
Yes it is, not going diwn the old bike route, I did own a used Juicy Sport for a while till our house was broken into and the bastards left with the bike. I was ok on the Juicy, with seat set low. I'm happy on the Woish, just this cycling group today kept telling me the bike seat height was wrong,I will try it slightly higher and see how it goes, although for me it seemed ok before, as my strength comes back into my legs maybe it will be better for me.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Afraid I'm a cowboy _ Always have been.
Yeah, lots of people are and always were when bikes were a form of mass transport in this country. I always favoured the one foot on a pedal scoot where you weren't allowed to ride when young too. Must say I find it hard to believe that the flying legover does any harm to a frame.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I believe Sheldon was a big lad.

Standing on the pedals and honking up a hill would put far more destructive force on the frame and wheels - about 60 times per minute!

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I believe Sheldon was a big lad.

Standing on the pedals and honking up a hill would put far more destructive force on the frame and wheels - about 60 times per minute!
Probably not harmful to the frame anymore but surely that's dangerous if trying to mount the bike at the side of the road in traffic?

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Denwyn
Your perfect fine the way you ride and everyone else is wrong.
Is what you want to hear.

Why are you asking for advice if your going to ignore any answers you don't like.
I could tell you of my arthritis and how riding with the correct saddle hight helps me peddle harder and for longer, although a lower position makes it easer to mount/dismount but frak's my knees when riding.
You don't want to know that and don't care about my knees anyhow.
In the same respect I'm not bothered about your knees.
If your happy as you are, just carry on riding your way. If anyone try's to say your wrong just tell them to puss off.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Den should have bought one of these:

flatfoot.jpg

Reactions: Gringo