Second/backup battery magic

Yak

Pedelecer
Mar 20, 2020
I’ve been lucky enough to have been bought a second-hand Orbea ebike after my Halfords/Yose conversion kit ebike suffered a terminal frame fracture. I’m finding out that the Yose system is smoother, more powerful, needs less fiddling from the rider and has twice the battery capacity than the fancy Mahle system. BUT the Orbea was bought by my Dad so it is staying! I’m looking at extending the range, but the official range extender that looks like a bottle battery is in fact a battery charger of 208wh equivalent that plugs into the main battery’s charging port, and costs an eye-watering 500+ quid, which I don’t have.
I’ve found another company that makes 252wh or 378wh batteries that also plug into the main batteries charging port but somehow magically work with the main battery - but don’t require the batteries to be at the same voltage. They say that the motor will take it’s power from whichever battery has the highest voltage until the voltages match and then will take from both equally until depleted. This obviously takes a lot of hassle from trying to pretty much exactly match voltages that I think I’d need to do if I were to buy an Aliexpress battery and having the second battery plug in simply to the charging port saves on wiring headaches.
So here comes the question. Are the electronics required to do this battery chicanery crazy complicated? Could they be recreated or is this the reason why the company also charge nearly 500 quid for the 252wh version (and nearer 600 for the 378)?
Is there someone out there who could put together something similar but without that massive price tag?