Second Hand bike that used a Badass Dongle

sduncan82

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 27, 2015
I am looking at purchasing a bike that uses the 2015 bosch performance motor. The seller has mentioned that he has used a badass dongle on the bike. From looking at their website they say that the dongle can lead to the warranty being invalidated so was wondering if anyone has any experience if the service centre can actually tell that a dongle has been used as I wouldn't want to buy a bike that didn't have any form of warranty.

I spoke to my local bike shop when I was looking at buying a new one and they were saying that they can tell but not sure if he was just saying that to put me off every using one. I have similarly seen threads from the guys at e-bikeshop saying that they cannot tell so was looking for peoples thoughts.

I appreciate the dongle systems that involve you doing some rewiring with the motor but form what I believe the badass dongle just sits over the speed sensor so you are never messing about with the original system.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Opinions - even in the trade - vary as to whether the Badass dongle leaves an electronic trace.

I've used a Badass dongle for two or three years and of itself it's caused no problems with the bike.

The Bosch system is generally reliable, so I would buy the secondhand bike if I liked it.

Reactions: halfer

sduncan82

Jul 27, 2015
Thanks for that. I am not worried about it causing problems with the bike it is more if I ever needed some warranty support that they can identify that one has been used and as such the warranty is invalidated.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks for that. I am not worried about it causing problems with the bike it is more if I ever needed some warranty support that they can identify that one has been used and as such the warranty is invalidated.
As I said, no one can tell you for certain if the dongle leaves a trace.

You are looking at a financial risk, and only you can decide if you are prepared to take it.

I regard the risk as small, and one I would be prepared to take on a £1,500 bike, although I wouldn't take a similar risk on a £15K car.

As a general point, support for Bosch bikes in the UK is still sketchy.

If the bike breaks, the bigger problem may be finding someone capable and willing to fix it, rather than who pays for the repair.

sduncan82

Jul 27, 2015
Oh right, I didn't know about the warranty transfer, would be good to know if that is the case.

sduncan82

Jul 27, 2015
thanks for clarifying that Martin, can you let me know what the situation is with telling is a badass dongle has been used on a bike as you will have first hand experience from servicing.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
he will not answer that nor will any of the others as no proof has ever been shown here or any where else that a dongle has been used on the bike.

martin fits dongles and honers the warranty so there you go.

i bought my bike 2nd hand and use the bad ass dongle with no problems and over 1000 miles.

you can buy the motors but will need to send in the 1 you have b4 you can get a new 1

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
only when i broke my xd hub jumping the bike, i sent it dir to crank brothers and was sent a new 1.

all the parts have there own warranty anyway.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: falmouthtony

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
I thought that warranties only applied to the original purchaser.
Not the case with 50 Cycles and their Kalkhoff's. Certainly not with mine which is just under two years old now. I transferred the warranty with them and then the battery went bad. They replaced it free of charge, under the transferred warranty.

I can't even imagine why a change of owner would change the warranty promise made by the seller/manufacturer.

Reactions: halfer