Second Hand Electric Bikes

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I just had a look at Ebay used ebikes for sale. I filtered the results by ending soonest, then looked at the list. I had to go through 20 listings before I found any that got a single bid in their 7 to 10 days of being listed. The first one was a fairly heavily accessorized Samebike at £41 with 2 hours to go. A few listings later was a Carerra Crossfire bought 8 weeks ago supposedly for £2000 (???) at £620 with 3 hrs to go. You'll struggle to find a crank-drive bike with any bids on it. The first was about 50th on the list and 14th out of crank-drive bikes - a Bosch Cannondale with baskets front and rear, and one bid at £600 with 19 hrs to go. It doesn't look good for used ebike sales.

This one looked quite interesting for somebody that wants a project. Use the motors for wind generators to power your house:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Woosh

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
I had one to sell and couldn't give it away, basically.

They are the sort of thing that I reckon most people expect will be end of life if they ever come up.

The Carrera sounds like it could be stolen, frankly. But why would you pay anywhere near the price of a new bike and not get a warranty?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Almost nobody is bidding old fashion way now. People use bots to bid in last second to avoid bidding war. To find out what is going on on the market you must check auctions that has ended.

Reactions: chris667

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
This one caught my eye although I’m not sure it is a real Ruff frame. But it would be difficult to build from scratch for that price.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
This lego bike is also very appealing to me. And that does look like a Ruff frame.

There is a frame for sale if anyone fancies building one up.

And a job lot of lego

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Almost nobody is bidding old fashion way now. People use bots to bid in last second to avoid bidding war.
Opting for "Make offer" or "Buy now" normally, I never used to bid but when I got around to it, I found the best strategy was to bid the most I'd be willing to pay at the last 3 seconds of an auction, and let autobidding do the rest. Ended up winning unexpectedly. Of course, this won't work if your max bid is too low. When you bid 3 seconds or less before the end, competitors can't increase their maximum bid before bidding ends.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I found the best strategy was to bid the most I'd be willing to pay at the last 3 seconds of an auction, and let autobidding do the rest. Ended up winning unexpectedly. Of course, this won't work if your max bid is too low. When you bid 3 seconds or less before the end, competitors can't increase their maximum bid before bidding ends.
That is exactly what bidding bots do. You just don't have to log in at the right time. they do that for you.

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
I'm just glad I'm interested in crap no one else wants. :p

Thought this was interesting if anyone fancies something a bit unusual.

TTFN
John.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney and Woosh

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021

TTFN
John.
Hubless? I'd call that very large axles!

Attracting a lot of interest.

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
I’ve sold two e-bikes on eBay and had no problems.

The first was a Raleigh Motus GT which sold for £1200.

The second was a Wisper 705 which sold for £600.

Both received bids and had a number of bidders.

DG…

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

TTFN
John.
If that's a mid-friction motor, probably a good idea to avoid mud and rain. No mudguards either, yet another ebike designed for the Silicon Valley climate.

It'll help you pull:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That is exactly what bidding bots do. You just don't have to log in at the right time. they do that for you.
I can't stand the shills. Easy to do: Clear all cookies, log in using a VPN and a different ebay ID, increase the price with a bid, repeat with another IP adress and ebay ID - resulting in making the product look more popular, which may encourage further interest, utimately selling the product for more than it would have otherwise. If you accidentally win as a shill, request a cancellation.

Last edited:

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
It doesn't look good for used ebike sales.
May I suggest that it is more of a reflection of ebay as a failing (declining) marketplace, rather than the used ebike market as a whole. Buyers have begun a mass exodus of the site in the last year, so there are bargains to be had with listings that struggle to gain views in the double digits!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Second hand bike prices are low, across the board, 'e' or other wise.

For ebikes I would imagine many potential buyers are concerned at the potential cost of a replacement battery (if you can get one of course) - if they aren't then they should be given that you can't easily tell how 'good' (define 'good'?) the battery is or how many charge cycles are left in it.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
May I suggest that it is more of a reflection of ebay as a failing (declining) marketplace, rather than the used ebike market as a whole. Buyers have begun a mass exodus of the site in the last year, so there are bargains to be had with listings that struggle to gain views in the double digits!
Sellers of bargain bikes, ebikes and bicycle trailers want "Cash on collection" and are often situated hundreds of miles away at the arse end of nowhere, hence their lack of views. There are many bids on such items when delivery is offered, too many, driving up the price. Sellers get a raw deal on ebay, listing fees etc... buyers can claim they never received the item, or it arrived damaged or incomplete, and ebay usually sides with the buyer in a dispute - I recall ebay seller of windsurfing gear @Zlatan complaining about it on the never ending humongously long and highly contentious Brexit thread, which knows no bounds, reason, or specific subject.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bikes4two

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
I managed to get half of what I paid for my Haibike back after having it for 5 years and many thousands of kilometers. The second hand (and ex hire) ebike market in Austria is very buoyant, most bikes here are crank drive.

Reactions: DiggyGun and Woosh