Security Advice

bayzoo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2020
Hi,

So I've just bought a new ebike and security is at the forefront of my mind. I live in a house that doesn't have a garage but I have access to a communal cycle store which has a simple lock.

The store has metal bike stands (look like Sheffield stands) that are bolted into a concrete floor. See a picture below as to how they are secured:

Now this can easily the undone so a £100 Gold lock is useless in this scenario - is there anything I can do to make this more secure? My bike is in my house for now - I'm not sure if the above would be classified as an 'Immoveable Object' in the eyes of insurers... if the bike resides anywhere outside of my property it has to be locked to an immoveable object regardless (which makes sense).

Thanks.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

all you can do is make it as hard as possible to nick just watch a few of his videos ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ppl want to nick a bike fast you dont really want sparks flying every where from a angle grinder unless you can do it under 60s.

most bike locks are very easy to pick if you know how so no need to cut them apart ;)

Reactions: bayzoo

bayzoo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2020
Fair point - I’m going to go with the shear bolts (if I can get the right size) and maybe still down some epoxy resin - that should be enough to prevent too much arguing with an insurer should unfortunate happen

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: bayzoo and Fat Rat

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You need to unbolt it and Kango out some of the concrete floor and then set it in, 4 - 6" should do it . The flange on the bottom will act as a good anchor footing once the crete has set.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Keep it in the house.....

A cordless grinder will remove any locks you put on, there are many YouTube videos showing this. It's too expensive a bike to take the chance.

Reactions: bayzoo