seeking advice choosing sub £1k very gutsy climber in Dutch style

davidneedsabike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 12, 2015
Looking for large comfortable, sit-up and beg / traditional / Dutch style with best gradient performance and duration / £, targeting ideally sub £800 street price (would go to £950 if pushed for a seriously vigorous performing bike

Needs front damped forks and ability to put saddle stem damper in to extend road comfort and allow some trail riding - use will incl around Lakes national park - but not mountain bike biased - want to be able to sit right back and take in the views

Also hoping to carry second battery with me, so the weight and size of this will be relatively important?

I dont want to labour (not exactly in peak health!) or get off on short steep hills

Realistic range of 30 miles with 2 batteries given that happy to pedal on the flat but want a real gutsy climbing ability (I am c 100 kg) - again can assist up hill but with no more effort than on the flat

Think I would prefer manual control of throttle and re-gen charging to get best battery life (dont want bike to slow down on flat coast because re-gen kicked in, only during descent, similarly dont want a tussle with auto torque sensing on the flat)

Not concerned if battery disguised or not - easy remove + swap, high capacity more important

thx D

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Woosh Big Bear LS. It has Dutch sit up and beg frame, 55-60 mile range and a large motor for climbing hills. £849.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?bigbear-ls

Or woosh Santa ana,have friend who's I borrowed recently,seems ideal for what you describe,relatively slow but really relaxed meandering,also while I like hub drives(I have one) crank drive would allow you to crawl up hills at very slow speed which hub isn't ideal for

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Yep, you've just about written an advert for the Big Bear LS. My wife has one. It's got sus. forks and seatpost, a twist throttle that also has an on/off button and 5 levels of assist. You won't need the second battery, we achieve 25+ miles around wales on less than half the apparent capacity. Battery slides in/out with key lock. Gives a good enthusiastic push up hills, so long as you help. My wife's no cycling enthusiast but hasn't found a hill that's defeated her yet. Just about the middle of your price range.......there you go then!

One_Box

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2014
Leominster
Or the Woosh Sunbear if you are looking for a hub gear rather than derallier . It has the same motor and battery as the BigBear and will easily manage 30 miles.

The Woosh Sant-ana CD is a viable alternative as already explained with a crank driven motor. It would be wise to try both systems though to see which you prefer as they are both quite different.

D

Deleted member 4366

This has got to be the easiest "what bike should I buy" ever. Last time we had one like this, the OP turned out to be a stooge.

Reactions: JuicyBike and RobF
D

Deleted member 4366

There are one or two skulking around, so it seems.

davidneedsabike

Sep 12, 2015
...no stooge my friends, however I too am ultra sceptical on tinterweb these days - will look at these options - any appropriate outlets in Northants area...if it turns out that there is one in Corby....it willl look suspicious! :)

Will these bikes rally get a 100kg fella up Dales short steep hills with easy pedalling? - The hub drives will be under immense load at crawling speed - maybe crank drive better?

Dont Need bike to be over substantially built / heavy...hopefully

Will those suggested do 20 miles with little or no assist in areas of less than 10% av gradient for when ankle starts to play up?

thx for help ...will try and dream up harder questions... ;)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

...any appropriate outlets in Northants area...if it turns out that there is one in Corby....it willl look suspicious! :)

Will these bikes rally get a 100kg fella up Dales short steep hills with easy pedalling? - The hub drives will be under immense load at crawling speed - maybe crank drive better?

Will those suggested do 20 miles with little or no assist in areas of less than 10% av gradient for when ankle starts to play up?

Woosh in Cambridge at junction A14/A10 opposite the Science Park is nearest to you. You can try out all their bikes there.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
...no stooge my friends, however I too am ultra sceptical on tinterweb these days - will look at these options - any appropriate outlets in Northants area...if it turns out that there is one in Corby....it willl look suspicious! :)

Lots of reviews of the BB here. Some very recent if you just go back a few pages. It will go up most hills with a little help I think. The modern BPM type motors are powerful.

davidneedsabike

Sep 12, 2015
or Woosh Krieger perhaps? It has gear drive which i imagine has a huge advantage going up steeper hills / helping under licensed power rating on long med hills - model rc planes are using much higher power, with 1 kw common place - would love to try 500w or 1kw gear driven off road bike :)

Anyone running a gear drive And hub drive to get 500w for off road - use hub drive on the flat / cruising and then kick in h gear drive in addition for hill climbing - could a second primary gear or larger primary be used to offer higher off road speed? - Not sure how the motor drive couples to pedal primary?

D8Veh...I said my posts would meander into the not so obvious...and eventually possibly investigate more cutting edge - quite fancy a chopper style easyrider trike elec powered :) - Presumably it would have to be registered and insured as a trike but would open the door to more sporting performance? - Be happy with top speed of 50 and 0-50 of c 5 secs and 100 mile range, no gradient limits - Also really like to convert my old Alfa GTV (poorly engine) however looks so unnecessarily complex and costly..again be happy with sensible performance 80 mph 0-60 6 sec, 200 min range using mid performance

We are really entering exciting times with battery and motor technology finally at practical levels - Take a look at what Tesla are achieving! - Who would have thought you could shift 2 tons of luxury car 300 miles on 1 charge?! - Let alone the monstrous acceleration! - They already have in testing luxury cars (well over 1.5 tons) capable of 0-60 in 3 secs! - Panasonic reckons their cells will last for many yrs of 12k miles pa too, current tech - Tesla's new Giga battery plant will enable them to substantially reduce production costs over the next few yrs too. - Compact affordable motors of 300 odd bhp already exist :)

If I recall correctly, model helicopters often run at or above an unbelievable 3kw power consumption - same as a big home electric fire on max! - Only the model is running 50 times the amperage due to relatively low voltage - 60 to 100 amps for up to 10 mins....

If the E bike in question runs lipos, I suspect the model world could probably offer some interesting alternatives - and as for centre primary drive motors....A competition E Heli set-up should fire a mountain bike up a 1 in 3 without breaking sweat - big fan and heat sink and run it conservatively...might be a viable and fascinating alternative - no idea which hobby would have the better value for money technology wise

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
not seen this then ;)

i just need a bat for me 170kw motor n go up hills fine prob land on next hill a mile away tho

One_Box

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2014
Leominster
or Woosh Krieger perhaps? It has gear drive which i imagine has a huge advantage going up steeper hills / helping under licensed power rating on long med hills - model rc planes are using much higher power, with 1 kw common place - would love to try 500w or 1kw gear driven off road bike :)
Sorry, I thought you wanted a Dutch style bike ?
I think the Kreiger and the latest Sant-ana CD share the same motor so should have similar performance.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The Krieger is in stock, the Santana CD is out of stock until end of October.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014

Anyone running a gear drive And hub drive to get 500w for off road - use hub drive on the flat / cruising and then kick in h gear drive in addition for hill climbing - could a second primary gear or larger primary be used to offer higher off road speed? - Not sure how the motor drive couples to pedal primary?

D8Veh...I said my posts would meander into the not so obvious...and eventually possibly investigate more cutting edge - quite fancy a chopper style easyrider trike elec powered :) - Presumably it would have to be registered and insured as a trike but would open the door to more sporting performance? - Be happy with top speed of 50 and 0-50 of c 5 secs and 100 mile range, no gradient limits - Also really like to convert my old Alfa GTV (poorly engine) however looks so unnecessarily complex and costly..again be happy with sensible performance 80 mph 0-60 6 sec, 200 min range using mid performance

We are really entering exciting times with battery and motor technology finally at practical levels - Take a look at what Tesla are achieving! - Who would have thought you could shift 2 tons of luxury car 300 miles on 1 charge?! - Let alone the monstrous acceleration! - They already have in testing luxury cars (well over 1.5 tons) capable of 0-60 in 3 secs! - Panasonic reckons their cells will last for many yrs of 12k miles pa too, current tech - Tesla's new Giga battery plant will enable them to substantially reduce production costs over the next few yrs too. - Compact affordable motors of 300 odd bhp already exist :)

If I recall correctly, model helicopters often run at or above an unbelievable 3kw power consumption - same as a big home electric fire on max! - Only the model is running 50 times the amperage due to relatively low voltage - 60 to 100 amps for up to 10 mins....

If the E bike in question runs lipos, I suspect the model world could probably offer some interesting alternatives - and as for centre primary drive motors....A competition E Heli set-up should fire a mountain bike up a 1 in 3 without breaking sweat - big fan and heat sink and run it conservatively...might be a viable and fascinating alternative - no idea which hobby would have the better value for money technology wise
Bit of a departure from what you are asking about in your OP. Meanwhile there are plenty of bikes that will do what you wanted there without going down the massive power route.

Incidentally, at the risk of becoming boring you, and so many others new to this keep writing about off road speed. There is no such thing since an e bike has to be legal to be used anywhere there is public access; and that means just about anywhere in practise. If you want to ride a legal bike that is.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The OP is requesting a bike which is a conflict in terms...a Dutch style e-bike which is a gutsy hill climber...unless you didn't concentrate in your geography lesson you cannot have failed to notice that Holland is completely flat!
Even to this day Dutch e-bikers primarily take little notice of hill climbing ability when selecting their pedelecs.
Any BPM hub motored bike will outperform most Dutch e-bikes.
The Dutch are also not much interested in Bosch crank drive for similar reasons.
KudosDave

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
The OP is requesting a bike which is a conflict in terms...a Dutch style e-bike which is a gutsy hill climber...unless you didn't concentrate in your geography lesson you cannot have failed to notice that Holland is completely flat!
Even to this day Dutch e-bikers primarily take little notice of hill climbing ability when selecting their pedelecs.
Any BPM hub motored bike will outperform most Dutch e-bikes.
The Dutch are also not much interested in Bosch crank drive for similar reasons.
KudosDave
It's a shame but here are the Dutch making the most ergonomic bikes in the world and they're heavy as ****,no good for our British hills (without a bpm). If anyone discovers a lightweight step through, let me know. I think it may not exist.