Shanghai Bike Show

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

Just waiting for my last flight back to Birmingham, so I thought I 'd start a post on what was there.

Lots of bikes with the new Bafang Max Drive system. The motors are more than double the cost of a hub-motor, but they should still be a cheaper alternative to Bosch.

Quite a few bikes with Shimano Steps, but I wouldn't expect them to be cheap.

I didn't see any exotica this year. It was mainly tried and tested stuff with slightly better quality developments.

Smart BMSs in the battery are a new feature, which is pushing forward. They transmit their data by bluetooth so that you can check it on a smart phone. Some were bundled with other apps like GPS navigation and power usage recording for journeys.

I had a go on one of the new Wispers that wasn't bad. I probably saw the new Kudos models as well, but they were in plain clothes, so I couldn't say exactly which ones they were out of a large range.

Expect to see a lot of bikes with the latest style like Bosch bottle batteries and also a lot of bikes with rectangular in-downtube batteries - sort of long and thin that just pretrude above the surface of the frame.

For myself, I had one result with a new programmable sinewave controller. I'll post more about it when I've tested it.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Just waiting for my last flight back to Birmingham, so I thought I 'd start a post on what was there.
So just some incremental increases rather than anything ground breaking then? I suppose that kind of what i'd expect.

Did they have the Copenhagen wheel there?

D

Deleted member 4366

I saw one bike with a fully integrated hub. I don't know who's it was. It was the smaller one with spokes, maybe 220 - 250 mm diameter.

Reactions: SteveRuss
D

Deleted member 4366

Here's a few photos of things I thought were interesting:

Typical electric bikes parked on the street. Note the battery locks.
20150505_175806.jpg

43v Bafang CST!!!
20150506_110540.jpg

Traditional road bike with saddle bag battery. The battery was supported by a rather nice alloy cantilever20150506_114559.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

Very tidy lever throttle that takes no space on the handlebars20150506_123607.jpg

Crank motor in the crank. Huge torque claimed??

20150506_132044.jpg

20150506_132023.jpg

1000w bike with 20Ah 48v battery for £1000. Its battery was a bit saggy though. They said that they could upgrade it for extra cost20150507_095903.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SteveRuss
D

Deleted member 4366

A rather nice Benelli, except that it was only a prototype. We asked questions about the battery and motor, but the engineer in charge of it struggled with the answers. I'm not sure that they had thought it through, but to be fair to them, this was the low power version, which was working. We were asking about the high power version, which I think was just a figment of their imagination, even though it was in the catalogue.

20150507_100950.jpg

This speaks for itself:

20150509_080435.jpg

and this

20150509_153832.jpg

Finally, a new crank motor. I'm going to get a sample of this one. I'm hoping for good things from it: Small, light and beautifully formed.

20150509_102730.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

Hello Catherine. Were you at the Shanghai show? I saw the bike from your other thread there, so maybe I met you briefly.

D

Deleted member 4366

You have a good memory. The third guy was Andre from Oxygencycles.

D

Deleted member 4366

You have us all now: Grzegorz (Greg) from Ecobike Poland, Andre (Andrew) from Oxygen Bicycles and me (Dave) from here.

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, yes and no. It's not in production yet. It's made by a well known motor manufacturer and IIRC is about 3kg.

Reactions: jonathan75