Shaving legs

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
I’m thinking of shaving my legs now that I’m wearing short cycling.
it’s not for the aerodynamic properties but more in case I have a crash.
What’s the take on it here?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Wax them, don't shave, it'll be smoother and last longer!

That man strength Veet hair remover does work, but it's not so good if your hair is thick.

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
Am I missing something? Why is it better to have shaved legs if you crash?

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
There’s no need to make excuses, we’re all grownups (mostly) if you want to shave any part of your body just do it, who’s going to know anywho :p:D

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
If you are convinced that its right for you, then use a laser system to kill the roots. The most popular one that I have seen is No-No, ads on TV from time to time.
I bought my wife a competitive system some 3-4 years ago, because as she got past 60, she was starting to get fluff on her face. 2 Applications and she is totally free of face hair.
She has also done her "bikini" line and legs with a really good effect.
Since then, no more hair, but according to some, the occasional hair is to be expected, but none up to now.
The darker skinned you are, the less effective, but my family and I are all blond or grey, and very "white" skin if not in the sun, that allows the Laser to be used at full power!
I still did not understand why you want to do it, is it a medical thing if you get leg injuries?
Andy
PS. If anyone wants more details on the model I bought for her and my two daughters, just ask.
I think that this is the one I bought then, certainly its the same company:-

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
I’ve just figured it out. Should you be unfortunate and in need of medical attention, having nice legs may just get you extra special treatment from the nurses :eek::p;)
But what if the nurses prefer hairy, manly men? ;)

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
It’s more if I have a crash the treating the inevitable tarmac rash, cuts etc etc less likely to get infected and head off to the hospital which I’m trying to avoid.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0109_01.JPGDSC_0112.JPG
broke my ass that did :p bike not one scratch lol

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
The point of shaving legs and arms is to not have the tarmac ripping it out as you slide along the road. Thereby doing more painful damage than necessary.
There must be a slight aerodynamic advantage on the flat but I would rather have the hair brake advantage when going downhill.

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
Is there any ex club racers etc who have had a crash with shaved legs?
Started racing when I was 17 packed in when I was 60. Always shaved my legs. No idea why. Official reason is to make massages less painful. Never had a massage. Think it is just fashion for club cyclists. Had a few crashes shaving never prevented those, or made them heal quicker. And you know what you cannot change the habits of a lifetime I still shave :cool:

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Samcycles

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2020
Northern Ireland
When I raced back in the 80s and broke my leg I got a plaster cast, when the cast dried it pulled all the hairs tight and I sat with a knitting needle down my cast trying to break the hairs. Always shaved my legs after that.

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
If you want to shave your legs, just do it!
Why do you need a reason?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I'm of Greek Cypriot descent

Cost of razors alone would bankrupt me. I'll take my chances with my Wookie legs